We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
St Nikolai church was once the world’s tallest building from 1874-1876. Mostly destroyed in World War Two, it is now a memorial and museum site, the Mahnmal St-Nikolai.
History of St Nikolai Kirche
The first chapel dedicated to Saint Nicholas, patron saint of sailors, was erected in the 12th century on the banks of the Alster river. This wooden chapel later became a sizeable brick and stone church, which remained in place and expanded until the mid-19th century.
During Hamburg’s Great Fire of 1842, the St. Nikolai Church was the first large public building to burn. Soon after, a fundraising campaign was started to rebuild the church. A new church was designed in the neo-Gothic style by English architect George Gilbert Scott and completed in 1874. Its 147.4 metre spire made it the tallest building in the world for 2 years.
During the Allied heavy air raids on Hamburg from 24-29 July 1943 (Operation Gomorrah), St. Nikolai was largely destroyed, yet the crypt and spire remained relatively unscathed – the spire served as an orientation point for the Allied bomber pilots. Approximately 34,000 people lost their lives in the bombing of Hamburg.
Since the war, the Nikolai ruins and memorial have become a central place of remembrance, dealing with the war and its dictatorship from 1933-1945. A permanent exhibition is set up in the crypt, and there are changing exhibitions and peace policy events.
St Nikolai Kirche today
Today the ruins of the St Nikolai Church are a place of remembrance of the victims of the Second World War.
The church crypt houses a permanent exhibition on the eventful history of the church, and the main section hosts a museum about World War Two dedicated to its victims, as well as the causes, consequences and historical context of the air war over Europe.
There is also an observation tower with a glass panorama lift which takes visitors to a viewing platform 76 metres above the ground, overlooking the harbour, Alster lakes and the city centre, as well as nearby Speicherstadt.
The St. Nikolai Memorial also regularly organises a programme of events including lectures, special exhibitions, readings, concerts and films.
Getting to St Nikolai Kirche
The St Nikolai Kirche memorial is located at Willy-Brandt-Strasse 60. By subway / S-Bahn, take the U3 to Rathaus or Rödingsmarkt station, or the S1, S3 to Jungfernstieg station. If travelling by bus, take Line 3 to Rathausmarkt or Großer Burstah station, or Line 17 Rathausmarkt or Großer Burstah station.
St Nicholas Church, Leicester
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Made with Roman tiles and stones from the Roman basilica
St Nicholas Church is probably the oldest place of worship in Leicester, with a history dating back to the Saxon period. You could say the story of the church goes back much further in time, for it shares a common boundary wall with the Roman bath complex known as the Jewry Wall, and there are Roman columns in the churchyard. The church incorporates Roman bricks into its walls, and retains examples of Saxon stonework.
The church was built on a pre-Christian sacred site, but there is no suggestion that there was a Roman place of worship on the site. The Roman columns in the churchyard came from the basilica, or town hall, which stood near this site (or it may possibly lie directly under the church). The columns were used to mark graves before the fashion for gravestones as we now know them evolved.
Leicester served as the seat of a bishopric from the 7th-9th century, and it is believed that St Nicholas was the cathedral of the Saxon bishops. The first recorded bishop was Cuthwine, who took office in AD 679, though the see itself was not made permanent until AD 737. One of the Saxon bishops was St Wilfrid, who served from Leicester during a period of exile from Northumbria.
The church was not originally dedicated to St Nicholas that designation was only made from 1220. During the medieval period the jurats of the Borough, leading citizens acting essentially as a jury, met in St Nicholas Churchyard. The name 'jurat' gave rise to 'Jewry Wall', used to describe the large Roman wall at the west end of the church. The wall has nothing to do with Jews or a Jewish settlement. It actually formed an end wall of the Roman bath complex.
In 1107 the church was given to the college of priests established at St Mary de Castro, beside Leicester Castle. That grant was later transferred to the canons of Leicester Abbey in 1143.
The oldest parts of the church are the north and west nave walls, which date to before the Norman Conquest. Over the north nave arcade are two round-headed double-splayed windows, with arches formed of Roman bricks.
These windows and the wall itself probably date to the 7th century. They were originally in the church's outer wall, but the building was enlarged in the Norman period and the window openings are now inside.
The church tower was begun in the 11th century, but you can spot Roman tiles in a herring-bone arrangement near the base. The tower was completed in the 12th century, two stages above the roofline and two below. The top stage features beautiful Norman arcading. Under the tower are very finely carved rows of blind arcading in round-headed Romanesque style.
A Roman Paw
One other Roman feature is worth mentioning. Set high on an angle of the interior west wall is a re-used Roman brick bearing the paw print of a dog. Presumably, the dog walked across the brick surface while it was drying.
The church porch comes from Wigston's Hospital, a 16th-century almshouse founded by William Wigston, or Wygstone, Mayor of Leicester.
On the exterior of the south wall is a 17th-century sundial made of Swithland slate. In the south aisle is a worn sedilia and piscina. The octagonal font is 15th century, carved with quatrefoil panels.
On the wall is a poignant memorial to 2nd Lieutenant Francis Blunt, who died from wounds received in action at Chocques in October 1915.
Other historic features we noticed include a painted royal coat of arms from the reign of George II, and a beautifully carved wall tablet to Hamlet Clark (d. 1817) who served as Alderman and three-times Chief Magistrate of the Borough of Leicester.
St Nicholas is an intriguing historic building, well worth a visit for its Roman and Saxon artefacts. The church is regularly open to visitors and is very easy to reach on foot from anywhere in central Leicester.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About St Nicholas Church
Address: St Nicholas Circle, Leicester, Leicestershire, England, LE1 4LB
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Immediately beside the Jewry Wall on St Nicholas Circle, beside the A46 northbound
Website: St Nicholas Church
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
St. Nicholas Ukrainian Church
“Ukrainians once built citadels against the enemy. Now Ukrainians build citadels for Christ.” – The most Rev. Archbishop Metropolitan Ambrose Senyshyn, O.S.B.M., D.D., speaking at the St. Nihcolas Blessing of Grounds Ceremony, March 16th, 1968
The formation of St. Nicholas Parish dates from 1903 when a sufficiently large and dedicate group of Ukrainian people in Wilmington decided they wanted to their own church in order to pray according to the ritual of their homeland and to maintain their religious and ethnic identity. The evolution of the Wilmington parish paralleled the establishment of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in the United States as a whole. Their history appeared to be marked by alternating periods of consolidation and conflict. This reflected the influences that played upon the Ukrainian immigrants at the turn of the 19th century. Ultimately, the reaction of the immigrants to these influences helped to define their religious and national affiliation.
Ukrainians began to settle in Wilmington in the 1890’s. They migrated from the farms or the Pennsylvania coal-mining regions to work in the factories, mills and iron and steel works located in east Wilmington, where most of the immigrants also lived, Initially, they satisfied their spiritual and social needs by traveling to a Ukrainian Catholic Church in Philadelphia and by inviting priests from Philadelphia to hold liturgical services in Wilmington in private homes or rented storefronts. Influenced, no doubt, by a campaign in Ukrainian-American newspapers at that time urging the erection of a church in every community where Ukrainians lived, the people in Wilmington converted a stable into a chapel. Records indicate that the chapel was already in use in 1903. A committee was formed to collect funds in order to build a proper church. In 1905 the committee received a charter incorporating St. Michael’s United Greek Catholic Ruthenian Church. In the following year, the committee purchased a lot on South Heald Street and, in 1909, the church was erected largely with the labor of the parishioners themselves.
Reverend Wolodymyr Derzeruka with daughter Lidia
In 1932, a religious society for women, the Apostleship of Prayer was organized. In 1933 the men of the parish organized the Ukrainian Catholic Club of St. Nicholas. Father Chehansky, who was given his first pastoral assignment at St. Nicholas Parish and St. Basil Parish in Chesapeake City, Maryland, promoted his ties in Maryland, Chest and Wilmington to organize joint sports competitions, picnics, religious and parochial feasts and commemorated Ukrainian national holidays. Father Chehansky remained Administrator in Wilmington until 1936.
In 1940, the mortgage on the church building was paid off and St. Nicholas parish celebrated this important achievement at a banquet. In the late 1940s, Ukrainians who had been displaced from their homeland by the events of World World II began arriving in the United States. Many of those who settled in the Wilmington area were Ukrainian Catholics and they swelled the ranks of the St. Nicholas Parish. In 1948, Father Bohdan Osidach, a recently arrived married priest, became the first resident pastor of St. Nicholas. The parish immediately purchased a house for a rectory at 608 South Claymont Street.
By the 1950s, it became obvious that the existing church was too small to accommodate the influx of new parishioners. Morever, as the neighborhood where the church and rectory were located began to deteriorate, many parishioners who had lived there began to move to North Wilmington. In 1958, at a celebration marking the founding of the parish, plans were announced to erect a new church in North Wilmington.
Beautifying the House of God
On October 3rd, 1964, Reverend Stephen Hotra announced a $150,000 new Church Fund Drive and the purchase of a $30,000 piece of property at Lea Boulevard and Miller Road, the site of today’s St. Nicholas. It barely six months, parishioners collected the first $25,000 of the Building Fund.
With the blessing of the Most Reverend Archbishop Ambrose Senyshyn and the help and cooperation of all the parishioners, the cornerstone was laid on December 7th, 1968. Reverend Andrew Baunchalk celebrated the first Divine Liturgy on May 4th, 1969.
Six decades ago, Ukrainian immigrants in Wilmington had a strong desire to practice their Catholic Faith and Byzantine-Slavonic Rite in a Church of their own. They bought property and established a tiny chapel at 4th and Pine Streets in Wilmington.
It now remains on this dedication day of October 5th, 1969, to begin the second period in the history of our parish as the first period did namely to fulfill the spiritual needs of the parishioners of St. Nicholas.
Truly, Ukrainians of Wilmington, Delaware, under the patronage of St. Nicholas, The Wonderworker, have build a singularly unique and inspiration “citadel for Christ” – and from this Temple of Worship and House of Prayer, may the beacon light of the Christian Spirit beam forever and enlighten all so that all who come to St. Nicholas may say of its members what the pagans of old said of the early Christians…”See how they have Love, one for another!!” – Most Rev. Archbishop Metropolitan Ambrose Senyshyn, O.S.B.M., D.D. – Speaking at the St. Nicholas Blessing of Grounds Ceremony, March 16th, 1968.
Saint Nicholas Church in 1975
In 1978 the beautification of the church was essentially completed when the iconostasis and the stained glass windows depicting the Stations of the Cross were installed in the church. A further achievement in 1978, the year of the Diamond Jubilee of St. Nicholas Parish, was the repayment of the $200,000 mortgage taken out for the construction of the new church. Both events were marked at a banquet held in the du Pont Hotel.
Building the New Addition at St. Nicholas Church
Organized activities for youth waned in the 1990’s because there simply were fewer young people in the parish. Nevertheless, Father William Gore and Father Roman Mirchuk had a special interest in youth ministry. They held discussion groups for young people and in other ways engaged them in parish activities including plays and programs before the Christmas Eve Liturgy and at parish dinners. The introduction of a church choir during Father Gore’s tenure, after the retirement of long-time cantor Michael Kowalchuk, created another opportunity for young people to take part in parish life.
The proclamation of independence by Ukraine on August 24th, 1991, and the subsequent dissolution of the Soviet Union, represented the fulfillment of a dream of generations of Ukrainians. It also made much closer interaction possible with relatives, organization and friends in Ukraine. In 2003, The St. Nicholas Parish celebrated its centennial.
There has been a parish church at Ibstone for over a thousand years. The church of St Nicholas stands in lonely isolation. It was once an integral part of the village, which was once centered at the top of the lane leading down to the church. There is evidence of habitations along the lane but due to the Black Death, they fell into decay and are now razed. The focal point of Ibstone moved along the main road a mile further north and the common.
It is very probable that there was a church on this site in Saxon times. However, the present building is a Norman structure, built in about 1125, during the reign of King Henry I. Ibstone was held by Hervey the Legate (possibly an interpreter) from the king in 1086. It was assessed at two hides with woodlands for one hundred pigs. By 1270, King Henry III granted the manor of Ibstone to Walter Merton, Bishop of Rochester, for the endowment of Merton College, Oxford.
Photos from 1905 National Churches Entry
“Legend has it that an attempt was made to build a Church in a new spot near to the village common. But the devil objected to the site and removed the structure, thereby giving the name of Hell Corner to the spot.”
The doorway, nave and font are from the 12 th century and the Chancel is 13 th Century.
The baptismal font is a circular stone tub font which dates from the 12 th century and has a wooden and metalwork cover that is Victorian.
The Bell Tower, Roof and Bells
There are two undated bells within the bell turret or tower: one treble and one tenor. The bells are probably 18 th century. Both are referred to in Bells of the Parish Churches in The Hundred of Desborough in 1885. The bells were repaired and rehung by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in 1986.
The Yew Tree
Perhaps a candidate for the oldest tree in the Chiltern Hills, the yew (Taxus baccata) is well in excess of 700 years old and is reputed to date before the 12 th century. This is a male tree. The soil in shallow chalky over a chalk bedrock which is subject to drought in the summer, thus growth of the yew will be slow.
In 1958, Swanton published a book on the yews of England. He writes:
"The church is in a very secluded spot high up on the hills Mr Giltrow and I measured it on October 15th, 1954. The trunk is not hollow and there is much spray on it. Girth about 18ft 6ins. The crown of 9 branches has an umbrage 61ft. in diameter."
Links to other websites:People of Ibstone - John Hamilton 1st Viscount Sumner 2.pdf
MORE than 100 people attended a dedication ceremony for a large sandstone boulder honouring Ibstone’s war dead, writes David White. The stone, which weighs more than three tons, has been placed on Ibstone Common to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War. It commemorates the six men from the village who died in the conflict — Edward Bunce, William Edgington, Charles Bradbury, Edward Hunt, Sydney George Bird and Robert Henry Watkin Brewis. The project was led by Ibstone Parish Council which wanted a natural tribute that would blend in with the rural surroundings rather than a more formal memorial or bench. The Sarsen stone, which measures about 5ft x 4ft, was found at Aston Rowant nature reserve, near Stokenchurch, and donated by Natural England, which owns the land. Crane driver Mick York drove it the six miles to the common, which is part of the Wormsley Estate, on the back of his flatbed lorry. A plaque commemorating the soldiers has been attached to the stone.
A memorial service was held on Armistice Day led by the parish’s new rector, Rev Mark Ackford. After welcoming guests, he read a prayer before reading out the names of the fallen from both world wars. He then recited a verse from the Laurence Binyon poem For the Fallen. The Last Post was played by Shiplake College pupil Bobby Howard-Jones. There was then a two-minute silence before he played Reveille. The crowd then sang the hymn I Vow to Thee My Country . Rev Ackford blessed the stone and parish councillor Melanie Grimsdale laid a wreath. Children from Ibstone Church of England Primary School sang It’s a Long Way to Tipperary before Rev Ackford led prayers, finishing with the Lord’s Prayer. Parish council chairman Richard Scott read John McCrae’s In Flanders Fields , before a closing prayer and blessing and the singing of the National Anthem. After the ceremony, tea, coffee and cakes were served at the Fox Country Inn. Councillor Grimsdale said: “We wanted something to be fitting with how rural and unspoilt Ibstone is so we didn’t want the usual bench or some structure. We wanted the tribute to be natural and everlasting, to be something that looked like it had always been there and something that the men could have actually passed as they left Ibstone for that last time to fight. “We’re a very small council and we haven’t got a lot of money so finding the right stone proved to be quite difficult.”
In 2000, another Sarsen stone was erected on the common to mark the new millennium and Cllr Grimsdale said they wanted it to match. After getting the go-ahead from the reserve and Patrick Maxwell, estate manager at Wormsley, Mr York was helped to put the stone in place by Cllr Grimsdale, her husband Mervyn and fellow councillor Michael Wright. Cllr Grimsdale added: “It couldn’t be a better stone. I like the shape of it because from each angle it looks different. “I have always felt it important that the sacrifices made in war are remembered and recognised. My granddad served as a private in the First World War in the Royal Berkshire Regiment. “He was awarded the Military Medal for bravery. He rescued his commanding officer from no man’s land under fire. “I believe he was 18 years old at the time. He would have been eligible to be conscripted to fight again for World War Two. He was actually terrified this would happen. He died, aged 39 or 40, in 1939/1940 when my mum was two.” Mick Venters, senior reserve manager at the nature reserve, said the stone originally came from a cutting when the M40 was being built in the Seventies. He said: “Melanie got in touch and said they were looking for something suitable, fitting and in keeping. “This is such an important thing and it’s a privilege to be able to do something in some small way to remember people who gave everything.”
IN this church were a number of ancient shrines, monuments, and monumental inscriptions, raised to the memory of the distinguished dead. But when the Scots stormed the town, they plundered the churches, and broke down, with axes and hammers, the carved work and effigies that adorned these mournful but gratifying memorials. Most of what escaped the destructive fury of the stern Presbyterians, were destroyed when the church was altered and improved in 1783. (fn. 1)
At the east end of the church, and near the communion-place, is the monument of Francis Burton, merchant, who died in 1682, erected by his daughter, Isabell Matthews. Opposite to this is a memorial of Mary Furyre. Near the east end of the south aisle is a beautiful monument, with the following inscription:—
"Sacred to the Memory of Nicholas Ridley
Of Link House in the County of Northumberland.
A Senior Bencher of the Honb le Society of Grays Inn,
And one of the Masters in the High Court of Chancery
In Attention to the Duties of his Situation
Sedulous, and Unremitting,
In the Practice of every social, and moral Virtue
Uniform, and Exemplary,
In Friendship steady, and sincere,
In Affection unbounded.
He died at Bath universally lamented Jan ry 1st
1805, Ætat 55.
Potest Fugacem Sistere Spiritum,
Heu Nulla Virtus."
Adjoining is the monument of Isabel, the wife of William Wrightson, Esq. M. P. for Newcastle. She died 13th March, 1716. Adjoining is a mural monument, with the following inscription:—
"Near this Place lie interred the Bodies of Iohn Stephenson, Esq. one of the Aldermen of this Corporation obiit 7, April 1761, Æt. 76: And of Elizabeth his Wife obiit 25, Jan, 1789, Æt. 84. This Memorial was erected by one of their children who honoured and respected their Virtues."
In this aisle, and opposite to where the altar stood, is the beautiful and curious monument of William Hall, Esq. sometime mayor of this town, and Jane his wife, which was erected in commemoration of them by Sir Alexander Hall, Knight, their only surviving son. At the top of the monument are the arms of the family, with an angel on each side of them. "The body of this monument," says Bourne, "has on each side a pillar of the Corinthian order between which is the representation of a desk with open books upon it, and he on the one side of it, and his wife on the other, with their folded hands upon the books below this are the effigies of their children in the same posture one of which is represented kneeling alone, at one side of a desk, with an open book upon it and other five on the other side of it, kneeling one after another. The former supposed to be designed for their son, the other for their daughters." Below is the following inscription, which was long tossed about among the lumber in St. George's Porch but the Rev. Archdeacon Singleton, at his first visitation, ordered it to be restored to its proper place which is now done:—
"Gvlielmvs Hall, Armiger, qvondam maior hvivs villae, et Iana vxor eivs charissima: felici prole ditati, ivxta hoc movmentvm in Domino reqviescunt. Ille vicesimo octavo die Iulii anno Domini 1631, aetatis svae 63. Ilia dvodecima die Avgvsti-anno Domini 1613, aetatis 36. In qvorvm memoriam Alexander Hall, Eqves Avratvs, vnicvs eorvm filivs svperstes hoc merito posvit."
The next is an elegant monument, by Bacon, to the memory of Matthew Ridley, Esq. which is thus described in the Newcastle Courant (September 8, 1787):—
"A figure in statuary marble, as large as life, bearing a resemblance of the features and person of the late Mr. Ridley (at the period to which the medallion and inscription allude), is represented in a Roman habit, sitting in the cerule chair, the seat of magistracy, with a serious, but placid countenance, as considering of the general welfare of the people over whom he presided under the chair are placed the scales and fasces, as emblems of justice and authority beneath this is the entablature, containing the inscription.
"The base of the monument is formed by a medallion, on which the town of Newcastle is represented by a female figure, crowned with turrets, having a shield by her, bearing the arms of the town near her is an urn, from which are seen issuing salmon, the peculiar attribute of the river Tyne, attacked by Rebellion, who, treading on the crown and sceptre (ensigns of royalty), bears in one hand the torch of sedition, in the other the sword of destruction: in an attitude of supplication, she inclines herself towards an armed figure, who protects her with his shield, and with a sword in his right hand resists the figure of Rebellion. On the shield are represented the arms of the family of Ridley the helmet is ornamented with a bull, which is the crest. As a finishing, under the medallion two cornucopias are introduced, representing the general effect of plenty (attendant on the care of active magistrates), connected by a civic crown, the reward amongst the Romans of civil virtue. The figure is placed against an obelisk of white marble, eight feet high, on the top of which is a very elegant urn, bearing the family arms emblazoned." Quarterly, 1st and 4th, gules, on a chevron between three hawks, argent, as many pellets, for Ridley 2d and 3d, argent, three cocks' heads erased sable, combed and wattled gules, for White. "And on the foot of it is engraved the motto, 'Constans Fidei.' The whole is relieved by a ground of dove-coloured marble."
"To the Memory of Matthew Ridley Esqre of
Heaton, in the County of Northumberland,
Senior Alderman of the Corporation of this Town,
of the Company of Merchant-Adventurers.
He four times served the Office of Mayor, in which Station in the Year 1745, he rendered essential Service to his Country averting, by his Prudence and Activity, the Attack meditated against this Town by the Enemies of the House of Brunswick and thereby materially checking the Progress of their Arms. He was unanimously elected by his Fellow Burgesses, to represent them in five successive Parliaments. And retired from that Situation when the declining State of his Health rendered him incapable of conscientiously fulfilling the Duties of it.
He lived respected and beloved, He died
unfeignedly lamented April 6th 1778, Aged 66
The light from the uncovered part of the dome in the roof falls direct upon this beautiful monument, and produces a fine effect. Adjoining is an admirably executed cenotaph of the Askew family, who were interred in their family vault in St. John's.
"To the Memory
of Henry Askew, of Redheugh, Esq
Who Died X, March, MDCCXCVI.
Also of Dorothy Askew, His Wife
Who Died XVIII. March, MDCCXCII.
The Protectors of twelve orphan Nephews and Nieces.
To the Best of Guardians
George Adam Askew, of Pallinsburn-House, Esq
And Ann Elizabeth Askew, His Wife,
Erected this Monument.
In the centre of this beautiful monument is displayed an altar or pedestal, surmounted by an urn, in which are supposed to be deposited the ashes of the deceased, and on its exterior their profile likenesses are admirably sculptured in basso-relievo. On the left of the altar is an exquisite female figure, illustrative of Gratitude, in the act of directing two beautiful children, a male and female, who occupy the front, bearing wreaths of flowers, to present them to Benevolence, who is represented on the right of the urn, which she embraces with one arm, and with the other enwreathes it with the children's offering. Near this figure a pelican is discovered, with her young deriving nourishment from the parent's "bosom's vital stream." A dove, emblematic of innocence, nestles at the children's feet and a stork, whose filial tenderness and watchful affection render its introduction peculiarly appropriate, is seen to the left of Gratitude. The whole is admirably executed, and beautifully illustrative of the inscription. Henry Webber, London, was the artist.
Above the vestry door is a very neat monument, decorated with the arms of Blackett and Roddam:—
"Sacred to the Memory
of Sarah Blackett
Who departed this life July XIV
This Monument is Erected in Testimony
Of the Tender Remembrance
of an Affectionate Husband
Whose Grief for the loss of an Amiable Wife
Can only find Comfort
In full Assurance
Of that Promised Reward
Which Virtue Inherits
In the Regions of Immortality."
A little west from the vestry door is a monument, containing the following inscription:—
"M. S. Edvardi Collingwood De Chirton Armigeri Northumbriæ Vicecomitis Et Hujus Ville Per Multos Annos Proprætoris.—In Memoriam Etiam Conjugis Suæ MariÆ (Johannis Roddam De Roddam Et Chirton In Agro Northumb: Armigeri Filliæ Et Cohæredis.) Ille Obiit Die Maii Nono Decimo A. D. 1783 Ætatis 81. Decessit Illa Die Quarto Decemb: 1766 Æt: 66. Parentibus Carissimis Hocce Deciderii Ac Pietatis Monumentum Animo Possuit Gratisimo Edvardus Filius Natu Maximus 1790."
"Memoriæ Sacrvm Edvardi Collingwood De Chirton Et Dissington Armigeri: Qvi, Singvlvs vbi Satisfecisset Officiis Qvæ Essent Ingenvi, Qvæ Probo Decerent In Pvblicis Prvdens Transigendis Mvneribvs. Patrimonii Ornandi Ampliandi Felix Moribvs Comis, Simplex Animo Egregie Suis Omnibus Carvs, Vitam Nec Inhoneste Nec Invtiliter Actam, Anno Salvtis MDCCCVI, Ætatis LXXII, Cælebs Explevit."
A little further west, a monument presents the following:—
"In Saint George's Porch are Interred the
Matthew Duane, of Lincolns Inn London, Esqr.
Fellow of the Royal and Antiquarian Societies,
And a Trustee of the British Museum.
He was of great Eminence in the Knowledge of the Law, and of the strictest Integrety and Liberality in the practice of it at the same time the friend and patron of the polite and fine Arts: And particularly distinguished by his singular skill, Judgment, and Taste, in Choosing and collecting a most complete series of Syrian, Phœnician, Grecian, Roman, and other Coins, now Deposited in the Museum of the late William Hunter, M, D. for the Illustration and confirmation of History.
The Virtues of his heart were equal to the endowments of his mind Justice, Benevolence, and Charity, Dictated his Sentiments in promoting the Happiness of Mankind.
He Died the Sixth of February MDCCLXXXV.
In Testamony of her Affection and sincere
His Widow erected this Monument to his
In the same place are Interred the remains of Dorothy Duane, His Widow, Daughter of Mr. Thomas Dawson, by Barbara Peareth, His Wife who Died the XI th of April MDCCXCIX, Aged LXXVII Years."
Maddison's monument is of marble, which has been painted and gilded since its first erection. It is affixed to a pillar on the north side of the south aisle. At top are the images of Faith, Hope, and Charity, with their usual attributes. Below these are the statues of three persons of each sex, in suppliant attitudes, and on their knees. The two on each side of the desk in front are evidently meant for Henry Maddison and Elizabeth his wife, the daughter of Robert Barker. Above their heads a shield—Maddison impaling Barker. He is represented in the habit of an alderman of Newcastle. The two figures behind them on the west side represent old Lionel Maddison, also an alderman of that town, who married a Seymour. Above them a shield—Maddison impaling Seymour. The figures on the east side seem intended for Sir Lionel Maddison (knighted by king Charles I. whom he entertained at dinner June 4, 1633), and his wife, who must have been a Hall. Maddison impaling Hall, on a coat of arms above, with the helmet of a knight, with the crest of Marley, which was granted to him, with liberty to quarter the arms of Marley, by Le Neve, norroy king at arms, June 5, 1635, the crest of Maddison being a lion's head erased, as it appeared on an adjacent grave-stone. "I suppose," observes Brand, "this Sir Lionel to have erected the monument, having modestly left a compartment without any inscription on that side, which his descendants have never filled up. Indeed, as he deserted the royal cause, he would therefore be an unpopular character after the restoration."
"Lionel Maddison, mer. ad. mayor of this town, July 1624."
"Jane Tempest, wife of William Tempest, Esq. second son of Sir Nicholas Tempest, Knt. and Bart. and daughter to Henry Maddison, sometime mayor, departed 29 December, 1616, Ætat. 20."
"Barbara Maddison, daughter of the said Henry Maddison, 1627, aged 17 years.
"Here Rests in Christian hope ye Bodies of Lionell Maddison Sone to Rowland Maddison of Vnthanke in ye Covnty of Durham Esq. & of Iane his Wife Shee Died Ivl: 9. 1611. Hee having Been Thrice Maior of this Towne Departed Dec. 6. 1624. Aged 94 Yeares. Hee lived to see his onely sonne Henry Father to a fayre & numerous Issue.
Here Interred Also are the bodys of Henry Maddison & Elizabeth His Wife (Davghter to Robert Barker of this towne Alderman) Who liued together most comfortably and louingly in true wedlock ye Space of 40 yeares He was somtyme Maior of this towne & having liued in good name and fame 60 Yeares Deceased in the trve Faith of Christ the 14 th of Jvly 1634.
Elizabeth His only Wife had Issve by him ten Sonnes Sr. Lionel Maddison Kt. Raphe Robert William Henry Peter George Timothy and Thomas And Six Davgters. Iane Svsan Elizabeth Barbara Elenor & Iane all the sonnes at his Death were liuing but Iohn who died in the late Expedition to Cadiz She liued his Widow 19 Yeares and being Aged 79 yeares Dyed the 24 of September 1653."
Underneath the sixteen smaller statues, representing the sixteen children of Henry and Elizabeth Maddison, is a beautiful series of small shields, pointing out their intermarriages.
On the south side of a pillar at the entrance into the middle aisle of the choir, is a firm, well-executed monument, by Davis, surmounted by a broken column, indicative of the melancholy fact recorded in the inscription, which is preceded by the following text:—
"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
"In the family vault in this church lie deposited, in blessed assurance of resurrection to immortality, the mortal remains of Elizabeth Greenwell, wife of Robinson R. Greenwell, of Newcastle upon Tyne, second son of Joshua Greenwell, of Kibbleworth, in the county of Durham, Esq. She died in childbirth, the mother of a lifeless babe, on the seventh of January, MDCCCXII. aged XXXIX years."
Further down the aisle is a mural monument, containing the following:—
"Near this Place
lie interred the Remains of
Thomas Dockwray, M. A.
many Years Lecturer of this Church:
Who, after a Life worn out
in learned and religious Employment,
departed to the mercy of God on the 15th of May
in the 71st Year of his Age,
He had an able Head, and an upright Heart:
As a Preacher
He was instructive, nervous, eloquent:
In private Life
He was adorned with those Virtues which
the worthy Man and the good Christian.
His Nephew Thomas Dockwray placed this
of his Gratitude to the Memory of
The best of Friends."
Against a pillar in the south aisle is a small monument to the memory of Patrick Crowe, the father of Mitford Crowe, governor of Barbadoes.
A mural monument, on the north wall of the choir, bears the following inscription:—
"In Saint George's Porch Lye interred
The remains of Mrs. Barbara Dawson,
The Widow of Mr. Thomas Dawson
She died in the Year MDCCXXXVI,
Aged XXXVIII Years
And of Mrs. Susanah Peareth her Sister
Who Dyed in the Year MDCCLXIX,
Aged LXXI Years.
Both were the Daughters of
Henry Peareth Esqr. by
Elizabeth Jackson his Wife.
This Monument of Filial Duty
And respect for one of the best of
Mothers, and of a sincere regard
For an affectionate Aunt
Was erected by Dorothy Daughter
of the Said Barbara Dawson,
And Wife of Matthew Duane Esqr.
In the Year MDCCLXXVI."
MONUMENTS IN ST. MARY'S PORCH.
On the east side of this porch is a mural monument, inscribed thus:—
"P.M. Alexandri Davison Equitis Aurati, et Annæ filiæ Radulphi Cocke ejus conjugis charissimæ ex qua filios quinq: Thomam Equitem Auratum, Radvlphvm Davison de Thornley Samvelem Davison de Wingate Grange, Josephvm Centurionem cordatum (in hujus oppidi contra Scotos Rebelles propugnatione strenui ad mortem usque dimicantem heic juxtini tumulatem) Edwardvm mercatorem cælibem defunctum Filias etiam binas, Barbaren primo Radulpho Calverley, deinde ThomeÆ Riddell de Fenham in com: northumbriæ equ: aurat: ac Margaretam Henrio Lambton armig: enuptas sucitauit. Qvi quidem Alexander, grassante tune, conjuratione perfidisima, optimo Regi causæq: regia semper Fidelissimus, gravam rej familiaris jacturam maximo animo perpessus, tandemq: in hujus Novi Castri oppidi obsidione cum Scotorum Rebellium exercitu irruenti magnanimiter confligens, Novisimum Spiritum (octogenarious fere), fortiter effudit XI° Die Mensis Novembris Anno ab jncarnatione Domini MDCXLIIII° hoc posuit Monumentum Thomas primogenitus Eques Auratus."
An adjoining monument has the following inscription:—
"M. S. Egregio Adolescenti Thomas Hamiltono, Animi indole, forma corporis et robore Præ cæteris insigni, Dni Patricii Hamiltonii A Preston Filio dignissimo A noblissima familia Haddingtonia Orivndo, Centvrioni Svb D. Alex dro Leslaeo exercitvs Scoticani fœderis imperatore, Excellentissimo Dn Alex: Hamiltonvs. Rei Tormentariæ Præfectvs Avvncvlvs Maerens Posvit. Cvm. Totivs Exercitvs Planety Maximo Obiit Anno Dni. 1640, 29 Octob: Ætatis Suae 20."
A third monument on this wall contains the following information:—
"Near this place is interr'd ye Body of Ioseph Hudleston late Citizen & Fishmonger of London Second Son of Andrew Hudleston of Huttonjohn in ye County of Cumberland Esq. who departed this life ye 14th of Iune Anno Dom: 1697. He Married Mary Daughter of Iohn Emerson Merchant Sometime Mayor of this Town & by Her had Issue Ioseph (who dyed in his Infancy) & Dorothy who Survives."
Before the reading-desk is the stone figure of a man, having the legs crossed, habited in a hauberk of chain mail and surcoat, with a sword and shield of arms: at the feet is a lion. On the left side of the effigy is part of a figure with the arms expanded the right hand being held up to the sword, and the left, which is much mutilated, stretched towards the shield. This curious monumental figure lay formerly in a niche in the wall under the south window of this porch, but was afterwards removed to the south side of the nave. The late vicar, the Rev. John Smith, at his own expense, had it cleaned, placed upon a block of stone with suitable devices, and set in the place which it now occupies.
Bourne conjectured that this effigies was a person belonging to the Scroop family, and who had been engaged in recovering the Holy Land from the Turks but Brand thinks it is the representation of the founder of the chantry. Peter de Mauley, a noble baron, who bore, according to Guillim, or, a bend sable, was in the 42d of Edward III. joined with the bishop of Durham, and some others, for guarding the East Marches—also 43 Edward III. and in the 3d of Richard II. with the Earl of Northumberland and others. He died March 19, 6 Richard II. 1382. As Warden of the East Marches, he would probably reside at Newcastle, where also he might die, and be buried in this church. However that may be, his arms correspond exactly with those on the shield of the cross-legged figure in this porch. (fn. 2)
On the west side of this porch is a monument with the following lines:—
"Near this Place
Lieth the Body of Hannah Wife of
Edward Mosley Esqr. Alderman:
she was the Daughter of Henry Campleshon
of the City of York Merchant:
and Died 5th January 1784.
In the same Vault are Deposited the remains of
the said Edward Mosley Esqr.
Alderman of this Corporation:
Who departed this Life
The 12th February 1798 Aged 81:
Universally Respected and Beloved."
A neat mural monument, by Dalziel, is incribed,—
"In Memory of John Hodgson, of Elswick, in the County of Northumberland, Esquire, who departed this life July 12th, 1820, in the 46th Year of his Age.
'For honourable age is not that which standeth in length of time, nor that is measured by number of years: But wisdom is the grey hair unto men, and an unspotted life is old age.'—Wisdom of Solomon, chap. iv. vers. 8th & 9th."
Beneath Mosley's monument is a small marble one, by Goffin,—
"In memory of William Ingham, who was born at Whitby 3rd December 1753, and died 26th November 1817 in this town, where he had practised as a surgeon for more than forty years and of Jane Ingham, his wife, who died 7th March 1825, aged 68 years and of William, their son, who died 23rd January 1800, aged 18 years."
The next is a beautiful white marble monument, executed by Flaxman, and which was erected in 1810 by a subscription amongst the pupils of the late Rev. Hugh Moises, A. M. It represents Religion, in the form of a female, with her eyes fixed on heaven, and leaning on a cippus, which is surmounted by an urn: on the side of the cippus is an admirably executed medallion of the venerable divine. A tablet beneath bears the following inscription, from the classical pen of the Right Hon. Sir William Scott, one of his most distinguished pupils:—
"Juxta Requiescit Reverendus Hugo Moises A. M. Collegii Divi Petri apud Cantabrigiensis olim socius Postea Per Longam Annorum seriem Ludi Literarii in hoc oppido Fundati Praefectus, Atque ibidem in ecclesia omnium sanctorum Verbi Divini Praelector. Vir erat ingenio eleganti et exculto, Literis Humanioribus apprime ornatus, et in iis impetiendis indefessus ac felix. In Regendis puerorum animis Leni usus imperio sed constanti Moribus facillimis nec inficetis, Sed ad vitae et officii sui sanctimoniam Rite compositis. Omnium, quorum studiis dirigendis invigilaverat, Commodis in omni Genere promovendis Amicissime semper, saepe utiliter, intentus. Religionis Patriae institutis stabilitae cultor observantissimus. Et in concionibus sacris Explicator Diligens, Doctus, Disertus. Hoc Monumento Memoriam Nominis Consecrari voluit Permultorum Discipulorum Amor et veneratio Favante et Pecunia collata juvante Novacastrensium municipio Viri de suis omnibus optime Meriti Grate Memori. Obiit Anno Salutis MDCCCVI, Ætatis suae LXXXV, Filiis Hugone et Gulielmo superstitibus."
The following translation was made by the late William Burdon, Esq. who had also been a pupil of this learned and virtuous gentleman:—
"Near this place are interred the remains of the Rev. Hugh Moises, A. M. formerly a Fellow of Peterhouse, in the university of Cambridge, and afterwards, for many years, master of the Free Grammar School in this town, and lecturer of All Saints'. He was a man of an elegant and cultivated mind, eminently adorned with polite literature, unwearied and successful in imparting it to others. In directing the minds of his pupils, he exercised a firm but lenient sway of easy and polished address, not inconsistent with the sanctity of his life and office constantly, most kindly, and not always unsuccessfully, intent on promoting the interests of those whose studies he superintended. A most diligent observer of the established religion, and in his sermons an assiduous, learned, and elegant expositor of the divine word. The love and veneration of many of his scholars, assisted by a subscription of the inhabitants of Newcastle, gratefully mindful of his merits, has sought to perpetuate, by the erection of this monument, the memory of a man who deserved well of all mankind. He died in the month of July, 1806, in the 85th year of his age, leaving two sons, Hugh and William."
A number of tomb-stones were removed from this porch in 1783.
MONUMENTS IN ST. GEORGE'S PORCH.
On entering this porch, a fine new marble monument, containing a representation of the deceased, executed by Bailey, and which has just been set up, attracts the attention. The inscription is as follows :—
is erected to record the regret of many
professional and other friends
for the untimely death of
Joseph Bainbridge, Esquire,
late of Wellington Place in this Town,
who, after undergoing a severe operation
for an Aneurism in his arm,
Expired on the 15th day of December, 1823,
and was buried in the church of St. Katherine Coleman
in the city of London.
in his domestic relations kind and affectionate,
in his extensive practice as a Solicitor,
acute and indefatigable,
and in his intercourse with the world,
A benevolent, just, and valuable man.
Adjoining, in the west wall of the porch, is a mural monument, with the following inscription:—
"In the Body of This Church, are Interr'd the Remains of John Cuthbert Esq. Serjeant at Law, and Recorder of This Town who died the 5th of April 1724. In the adjoining Vault are deposited the Remains of his eldest Son, William Cuthbert Esq. Barrister at Law, and Recorder of This Town: which Office he fill'd seven Years, and died the 28th of August, 1746, aged 55. In the same Vault, are also laid the Remains of John Cuthbert, of Witton-Castle in the County of Durham Esq. eldest Son of the said William Cuthbert who from the purest principle of filial Piety, gave orders in his Will for the erection of this Monument: He died at York, the 15th of December, 1782 Aged 51 Years."
The next is a chaste and elegant monument, executed by Westmacott, inscribed,—
"To the Memory of William Peareth Esqr. of Usworth House In the County of Durham. A Man of Abilities and Worth, Whose Amiable Qualities endeared Him to his Family and Friends. He served this Corporation with great Assiduity and Integrety, as Clerk of the Town's Chamber, and Alderman, near Fifty Years, Always Declining the Office of Mayor. He Married in 1731 Ann Youngest Daughter of Richard Jennens, Esqr. of Warwickshire, By whom he had Issue Fifteen Children. Of these, Two Sons Survived him, William, and Richard Thomas, and Six Daughters. Susanna, Married to Henry Wight Esqr. of Northamptonshire, Elizabeth, Ann, Mary, Henrietta, and Barbara. He died May the 20th. 1775 Aged 72 Years. His Widow, in Testimony of her Affection and Gratitude, caused this Monument To be Erected. She died the 25th. February 1801 Aged 87 Years After a Life Distinguished by a constant Exercise of Piety to God and Active Benevolence to Mankind."
In the north wall of this porch is a monument to the memory of William Smoult, Esq. a native of Newcastle, who died in 1794, in consequence of having his constitution impaired by a long residence in Bengal. In the east wall is a monument,—
"Sacred to the Memory of William Jennens Peareth, Esquire, only son of William Peareth Esquire and Susanna his Wife, of Usworth-House, in the County of Durham: Whose earthy Remains Lie Interred in this Porch. He was at the time of his Death, Gentleman-Commoner of Christ-Church, Oxford where alike, in his Moral, Religious, and Literary Character He distinguished himself, and gave early promise of becoming a worthy and useful member of Society. He was a most dutiful and Affectionate Son: and from Infancy possessed a goodness of Heart, and Firmness of Character, Rarely to be found in Manhood with a Liberality of Mind, which had already begun to exert itself in acts of private Charity and Benevolence. He died at Penzance, in Cornwall, on the 26th Day of March, 1804, in the 20th Year of his Age after a long and lingering Illness, which he bore with exemplary Patience and quiet Resignation to the Will of his Creator Leaving to his deeply afflicted Parents, who had fondly looked up to him as the joy and comfort of their declining Years, the great and only consolation, arising from the Assurance of his having Acted his part well on Earth and from the humble hope of being found worthy, when summoned from this World of Sorrow, to be united to him in the blessed Regions of Eternity."
Near to this place is another memorial,—
"Sacred to the Memory of William Peareth Esq re . Late of Usworth-House in the County of Durham. He Departed this life August XIth. MDCCCX, Aged LXXVI Years. His Remains are Deposited near this place. He was Religious from the true principles of the christian faith Possessing in an eminent degree all those exalted Qualities That can only be derived from that Hallowed Source. He was of the Strictest honour and Integrity, Benevolent and liberal, without ostentation, His private charities were numerous, Though Known only to his particular Friends, and the immediate objects of his bounty. His afflicted Widow, who well knew and justly appreciated his Virtues, Has caused this Monument to be erected, as a tribute of affection and respect, For a Beloved Husband."
Against the pillar on the right hand on entering this porch, is a monument,—
"Sacred to the Memory of Major General John Byne Skerrett, Son of Lieut. Gen. John Skerrett, of Nantwich in Cheshire and of Anne his Wife daughter of Henry Byne Esqr. of Carshalton Surry He died on the 10th day of March 1814, in the 36th Year of his age, of a wound received at the head of his Brigade in the Assault of Bergen op Zoom. From the age of 15 Years to the day of his lamented Death, his life was spent in the service of his King and Country, in every Quarter of the Globe. During the long and successful struggle of generous Freedom, against tyrannical Oppression his services in Spain were most Conspicuous, especially in the Defence of Tarif, and in the Capture of Seville. His Military Career was useful, active, brilliant His private life Exemplary. Reader! It is a Mother who survives to raise this Monument to such a Son her only Child. Bereft of all earthly felicity she looks forward (in humble hope) to a reunion with the Object of her affections in that blessed world, where separated friends again shall meet and where grief and mourning cannot enter."
Here is a memorial of Catherine Shaftoe, daughter and coheir of Sir Thomas Widdrington, of Cheeseburn Grange and of her husband, Sir Robert Shaftoe, of Whitworth, co. pal. Durham, recorder of Newcastle in 1660, knighted in 1670, serjeant at law 1674, resigned the recordership of this town in 1685, and rechosen to that office on the revolution 1688, died 25th May, 1705, æt. 71.
In this porch is the tomb-stone, with two shields of arms, of "John Midforth, Marchant Adventurer," who died October 2, 1623. Here are also the burial-places of "George Errington," merchant, who died in 1674 of "Matthew Newton," merchant, who died in 1668 and of "Matthew Ifferson," alderman, and sometime mayor, who died in 1697. One stone is inscribed, "Jhu have marcy of John orde soule. William Robson Cordiner Grand Child to John Orde." Another, "Jhu have marcy, on, George, Byrde, soule, Marchaunt, Aventurer, somtyme, clarcke of the towne, Chamber, Also, his, Wyfe, &, Anne, theyr, Doughter" date 15–7. There is also an old monument, the arms on which seem to belong to Surtees and Grey and of "Timothy Robson," alderman, and twice mayor of this town, who died in 1700, and whose only surviving child, Mary, married John Milbank.
MONUMENTS IN BEWICKE'S PORCH.
The burying-place of the Bewicke family is in the porch on the south of the nave, formerly St. Margaret's chantry. It was, in 1819, decorated with an elegant monument to the memory of Colonel Bewicke, and which was executed by Mr. Bailey, A. R. A. It is of white marble. On a pedestal, to which there is an ascent by steps, is a full length of the colonel, in a sitting posture (a capital likeness), supported by a female, whose hand he grasps. A figure of Hope stands in front, pointing to an angel above, holding a scroll, inscribed, "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted." The upper part of the monument consists of a fine pointed arch, crowned with a pinnacled pediment. The whole displays great delicacy, and richness of detail. A part of this monument was exhibited in the Royal Academy, Somerset House, London, in May, 1819. The following critique is copied from The Examiner Newspaper of that date:—"Mr. Bailey has beautifully executed a monument to the memory of Col. Bewicke, from a graceful design of the late classical sculptor, Mr. Theed. It is of a female, sunk on the shoulder, and holding the hand of her husband, who is looking up as if, in a 'silent soft address,' he was invoking a blessing upon the disconsolate mourner. The performance touches the heart to its centre. It has much of the rhetoric of actual life, when the bitterness of parting in death occurs between friends, the soul's anguish rejects all wonted enjoyments, the garden of the world appears as a gloomy wilderness, and the days of peace to be departed." All this praise is justly bestowed but certainly the angel might, with great propriety, have been omitted. It is in very bad taste, and injures the effect of the whole. Every one must regret that this fine monument should be covered and disfigured with a black veil of soot, imbibed by the moisture to which it is exposed.
"Sacred to the memory of Calverly Bewicke, Esqr. of Close House, in the County of Northumberland. He served the office of High Sheriff for that County in 1782 Commanded the Durham Militia for many years as Lieut. Colonel And at the time of his death, Represented the Borough of Winchelsea, for which He had been returned in three successive Parliaments. He was born the 26th of June 1755, and Died the 24th of October 1815. Margaret Bewicke his widow, Daughter of Robert Spearman Esqr. of Old Acres, in the County of Durham, raised this Monument as a tribute to his virtues, and a memorial of her affection."
Near this monument is another, inscribed,—
"H. S. E. Vir moribus integer, Fide Christianus, Robertus Bewicke de Close-House in Agro Northumbriae Eques Auratus Qui Provinciam publicam, Favore Regio insignitam, et sibi, et Patriae honorifice administravit Qui Domesticae Officiis vitae tam aequo benignoque animo satisfecit, ut omibus esset in vita carus, post mortem desideratus, Uxori autem desideratisimus, Quae Marmor hoc, parvulum quoddam amoris sui Pignus, Pie et maerenter P. C. Filiis duobus, Filiabusque septem Superstitibus, Ob. 3° Die Septembris A. D. 1771. Ætatis 44."
In this porch is also a tomb-stone, on which we read this:—
"Hic Sepulcta Iacet Corpus Guilimi Bewicke, filij Roberti Bewicke Armigeri primogeniti Qui cum Elizabetha Henrici Maddisoni Armigeri Filia Matrimonia Coniunctus, Binos filios filiasq, tres ex illa Suscepit: Et Post quam ad tricesimum octavum ætatis suæ annum pervenisset animum suum 22 die Februarii religiose expiravit anno Domini 1636."
The English inscription upon another runs thus:—
"Heere lieth Buried the Bodies of Robert Bewick Marchant Aduenturer & lwise Maior of this Towne & also high Sheriff of the County of Northumb. & Ellenor his Wife he Depted this life the 15th Day of March. 1641 She depted this life the 1 day of June 1661. Iane Bewicke the Wife of Thomas Bewicke Esqr. She Depted this life the 9th of August 1682 Thomas Bewicke Esq Depted this life ye 7th of November 1690. Robert Bewicke, Esqr. Departed this life ye 9th of Ianuary 170¾."
MONUMENTS IN THE NAVE.
Against the pillar on the left on entering the middle door of the choir is a most beautiful monument, with this inscription:—
"To the Memory of
Sir Matthew White Ridley,
of Blagdon and Heaton, in the County of
who died April the 16 th 1813, in the 67 th Year
of his age.
He three times filled the office of Chief
Magistrate in the Corporation of
He was returned Member for the Borough of
Morpeth in 1768.
On the resignation of his Father in 1774, he
was elected Representative for
Newcastle upon Tyne,
An Honour conferred upon him during eight
In 1812 he declined again soliciting the
suffrages of his fellow Burgesses,
when they afforded him
A testimony of their approbation and regard
the most gratifying to his parental feelings,
By transferring to his son the confidence
they had reposed in him for a period
of Thirty eight years.
In 1798, He was appointed Colonel of the
Loyal Newcastle Associated
And had the honour of commanding that
During the whole period of its service.
In 1778, He was chosen Governor of the
Company of Merchant Adventurers
of this town,
And received in his Re-election for Thirty
five years the strongest proof of the
uninterrupted esteem of his
In his parliamentary conduct active and
The firm supporter of those genuine
principles of liberty which
Basis of the British Constitution.
In private life, he united with the greatest
urbanity of manners those qualities of
The heart and understanding which secure
esteem, and adorn (while they dignify)
the character of man.
To those endeared to him by the nearest ties
he was ever most kind and affectionate,
To his friends warm and sincere, honourable,
amiable and benevolent:
He lived respected and beloved,
He died universally lamented."
This noble monument was executed by Flaxman, and displays, in very high relief, a full length figure of the deceased, as large as life, dressed in a Roman toga, and standing in a graceful and dignified attitude. His right hand rests upon an altar or pedestal, and grasps a roll at the foot of the pedestal lies a volume, inscribed "Magna Charta" behind the figure is seen a curile chair, underneath which are placed the fasces and scales, in allusion to the senatorial and magisterial functions of the deceased, whilst a military standard, on the top of which is a lion, is seen leaning against the pedestal above the standard hangs a shield charged with the family arms. The face of the figure is a correct likeness of the deceased the whole, indeed, but particularly the drapery, is a most exquisite performance.
On the opposite, or south pillar, is a large cenotaph in honour of the Right Hon. Lord Collingwood, designed by C. R. Cockerill, architect, London, and executed by C. R. Rossi, sculptor, R. A. London. It contains a good medallion of his lordship, and a very long inscription, which it is unnecessary to insert, as a sketch of the life of this gallant admiral will be given in a subsequent part. This monument is inclosed with iron rails.
On the south side of the nave is a monument,—
"Sacred to the Memory of the Revd. Nathaniel Ellison A. M. Formerly Fellow of Merton Colledge Oxford. late Vicar of Bolam and Lecturer of St. Andrews Newcastle. He resigned his Soul into the Hands of his Creator the 1st of August 1798 in the 62d Year of his Age. His Remains lie interred near this Place. He lived universally beloved and died unfeignedly regretted."
Another monument bears the following inscription:—
"Sacred to the Memory of a sincere Christian, a tender Husband, an affectionate Father, and Faithfull Friend, the Revd. James Stephen Lushington M. A. (Son of Thomas Godfrey Lushington of Sitting Bourn, Kent, Esq re .) Who was nineteen Years Vicar of this Town, and died in it, on the 17th Day of June 1801, Aged 68. From a long and happy Experience of his engaging Manners and universal Benevolence of Heart, his Widow and Children, as a small, but inadequate Testimony of their pious Regard, dedicate this Inscription."
Here is also a mural monument in honour of the memory of Major John Werge, of the 38th regiment of foot, who was killed at the capture of St. Sebastian in Spain, the 31st of August, 1813. Another, on the opposite side of the nave, is sacred to the Memory of Mary Wilson, who died May 26, 1813, erected by her daughter, the wife of Gen. W. Maxwell. Near to this is the memorial of Rear-admiral W. Charlton. Below the arches on the south side two stone coffins are preserved.
In the nave are tomb-stones with the following inscriptions and the arms of the deceased: (fn. 3) —". of John Brandling Marchant Aventurer and som time maior of this towne & Jane & . Wifes & . children."—"Pray for. y. soule of. horsleyie march. aventurer somtime maior of this towne & . his wife. " "heare lieth burued the corpes of Isabell Anderson late Wyf of Henry Andersonn marchant & Alderman of this towne Who deceased the xiv daye of august an dni 1582 Bewayled of the poore that tasted much her renowined vertue."—"Under this stone lyeth buried the bodies of Margarett and Jane the Wiffes of Thomas Liddell Marchant Adventurer Alderman and Sometime Maior of this towne Margt. depted the xxi of March 1585 and Jane xxi of Juli 1602 With their Children he depted the 19 of August 1619."—"Here under lyeth in arane the corps of Roger Nicholson Marchant Adventurer & somtyme maior of this towne with Annes his Wife & their Children depted the xxii of January 159. which is our. shall appear then shall We also appeare. him in glory Christ is. "—"Bvlmar. Apothecarie And Grocer of this Towne and Anne his Wife She Departed to the Mercie of God the 7 December 161x."—"Here lyeth buried the Boddie of . Bowes . to the mercy of God the 8: of December an: 1621. John Bowes, Merchant Adventurer."—"Henry Chapman Marchant Adventurer Alderman & sometymes Maior of this Towne: 163—."—"Heare lyeth Mr. Robart Eden and Isebell his Wife w: Their Sovne John Eden and his Wives Mary and Isebell." Mr. Robert Eden was sheriff of Newcastle, A. D. 1587.—"The Buriall Place of Henry Horsley of Milburne Grange Esqui & Margaret his Wife he Depted the 16th of Nouem 1657 Etatis Suœ 56."—"Jhu haue marcy of the sowlle of Cuthbert Ellison Marchant Aventurer sometyme maj of this towne & Isabell & Anne his wyves & y children."—" Ralph Forster Merchant Aduenturer Depted this life ye 21 of March 1649 Ann his Wife Depted ye 18th of Octob r 1652 their Eldest Son Richard Forster & Mary his Wife who had Issue to him Ralph & and Richard Hee Depted ye 31 of March 166—
I've Kept ye Faith, A good fight fought have I
My God & Sovereign serv'd here quartered lie
With Dust Disbanded till the last Trump hence
Rally these Atombs By its Influence,
When With the Loyal Bands receive I may
A Crown of Glory for the General Pay."
Here are also the tomb-stones of William Carr, merchant, died in 1660—Roger Procter, merchant, died 1664 and on the same stone, Robert Mallaber, merchant, and sometime sheriff, died 1676—Thomas Partis, tobacconist, died 1669—Richard Wright, merchant, and sometime sheriff, died 1671—John Emerson, Esq. merchant, and sometime mayor, died 1673 also his son-in-law, Thomas Ienison, Esq.—Sir W. Blackett, sometime mayor and M. P. also John Erasmus Blackett, Esq. who died 1814—The children of W. Blackett, alderman—George Errington, merchant, died 1675—Henry Marley, Esq. and family he died 1688—Rob. Roddam, alderman, and sometime mayor he died 1682—Benimen Ellison, merchant, died 1676 on the same stone, Francis Johnson, Esq. alderman, died 1810, aged 62 years—Robert Ellison, governor of the Merchants' Company, died 1677 and on the same stone,—
"The Burial Place of the Revd. J. Ellison, 50 Years Curate of this Parish. He died the 19th of Jany. 1807, Aged 76 Years. Also Anne his Wife died the 19th of April 1803 Aged 70 Years."
There are also the tomb-stones of Lancelot Hodshon, Esq. died in 1677—Matthew Jefferson, alderman, and sometime mayor, died 1687—Anthony Isaacson, Esq. father of Recorder Isaacson, died 1693—Timothy Davison, alderman, &c. died 1696—John Butler, marchant, died 169 5 /6—Sir Ralph Ienison, of Elswick, Knight, died 1701—Nicholas Ridley, Esq. twice maior, &c. died 1710—Isaac Cookson, merchant, died 1744—Winfrid Mitford, who died 1760, and her daughter, Jane Bates, wife of Ralph Bates, of Holywell, who died the same year—William Boutflower—Edward Mosley, Esq. alderman of Newcastle—Thomas Sanderson, died December 11, 1795—B. Kent, upholsterer, who died January 27, 1803—Ralph Heron, died 13th April, 1801—Thomas Loraine, Esq. of Kirkharle, a Hebrew scholar, who died October 24, 1649—James Moncaster, died 1739 Isabel, his wife, died 1764 and Frances, their daughter, wife of C. Atkinson, (fn. 4) Esq. died 1793. Near the north-east corner of the nave is a stone, on which are two figures, in bold relief, in a praying attitude, with an inscription dated 1522. This seems to be the oldest tomb-stone in the church.
Here are also the burial-places of the families of the Andersons, Claverings, Kirklaies, Greys, Hargraves, Pawsons, Whinfields, Bulmans, Hezilriges, Stephensons, Davidsons, Bayles', Watsons, Crawfords, Shadforths, Matfens, Gibsons, Ogles, Pollards, Wilsons, Debords, and many others, which our limits will not permit us to particularize.
The church-yard seems to have been partly open so late as the year 1761, when it was enclosed, by subscription, with a brick wall, with wooden rails thereon. The west end of the church, and part of the yard on the north and south sides, were enclosed a few years ago with a stone wall, which supports strong, ornamental iron railing and the other parts will soon be protected in the same manner. This buryingplace must formerly have been much more extensive, as quantities of human bones have been found in digging both on the east and north-east. In lowering the pavement before the south porch in 1811, the workmen discovered a stone coffin very near the surface. There are not many tomb-stones in this repository of the dead. Most of them are at the east end and the south side of the church.
One stone bears the following inscription:—
"The burial-place of Matthew Fairbarn, of this town, agent, who departed this life the 4th day of May, 1818, in the 76th year of his age. Ann, his daughter, died in infancy. George, his son, died 22d day of June, 1801, aged 12 years. Matthew, his son, died 21st day of June, aged 22 years. Thomas, his son, master of the ship St. Patrick, died at Lima on the 5th of Oct. 1821, in the 36th year of his age, in consequence of a severe wound he received on the night of the 22d July preceding, during Lord Cochrane's attack upon Callao, who refused him permission to remove his ship, being a neutral, outside the Spanish line of bombs previous to the attack, though personally applied to and, in consequence, Captain F. was placed between two fires.
A poetic epitaph, in the usual style, follows the date of the decease of Susannah, a native of Sarro Libre in France, wife of John Sanderson. She died November 13, 1815, aged 21. A stone is "erected by a circle of friends to commemorate the memory" of Joseph Longstaff, who died 20th June, 1818, aged 34 years. At the north-east corner is a table grave-stone, over the vault of "Joseph Barber, Bookseller, Amen Corner, who died July 4, 1781." This vault now belongs to the successors of the late Stephen Humble, bookseller. The vault of the Collingwoods of Chirton is at the east end of the church. The burying-places of the late Joseph Forster, Esq. and alderman and Robert Storey, Esq. of Arcot, are on the south side of the Library near the door of which the late vicar (Smith) was interred. Some stones are distinguished by "uncouth rhymes" but none of these perishable memorials are very old. Indeed, the inscriptions on most tomb-stones are not legible for more than 30 years.
There is a gate and flagged foot-path at the south side of the church-yard, which conducted to a door, now built up, near the west end of the Library. This churchyard might be kept drier than it is, if the rain from the roof was properly conducted to the adjoining sewers: on the contrary, it is permitted, as in most ancient buildings, to fall from open spouts, projecting from the roof.
Former North Side church, a Croatian enclave, now a memorial site
TribLIVE's Daily and Weekly email newsletters deliver the news you want and information you need, right to your inbox.
Officials and parishioners who fought for years to preserve St. Nicholas Croatian Catholic Church along Route 28 in Troy Hill gathered Saturday for a bittersweet ceremony dedicating a memorial wall where the church once stood.
“The loss of St. Nicholas is devastating to say the least,” said Susan Petrick, a former parishioner and secretary of the Preserve Croatian Heritage Foundation. “It is heart-wrenching for many of us standing here today on the very site where our church once stood, knowing we will never enter its doors again, attend Mass, receive sacraments, have celebrations, witness its beauty, or feel its holiness.
“But we realize that this hillside could now be a barren, weed-infested piece of land, the memory of St. Nicholas swept away in the wind as some preferred.”
The church, built in 1901 as the first Croatian parish in America, became known for its elegant architecture and signature onion domes.
But the parish merged with St. Nicholas in Millvale in 1994 and the church closed in 2004. Despite efforts by the North Side Leadership Conference and the Preserve Croatian Heritage Foundation to buy the church and turn it into a national immigrant museum, the parish and diocese preferred demolition. Officials deemed the church a safety hazard, and said that it could collapse into Route 28.
St. Nicholas church was demolished in 2013.
But the resentment remains today.
“We all had such high hopes,” said Mark Masterson, executive director of the Northside Community Development Fund. “But we had some very powerful detractors. . I wish we could have had a better outcome.”
About 100 people stood in a light but steady rain throughout the 75-minute ceremony.
Twenty feet away, cars rushed by on the recently widened Route 28, which carries about 60,000 commuters a day. PennDOT's five-year reconstruction project cost $120 million.
Where homes and businesses once stood, a new bike and walking path leads from Penn Brewery to the church memorial site. Crews installed a Pennsylvania State Historical Society marker, murals of the church and four informational boards describing the history of the corridor as a once-thriving Croatian enclave.
“They built (the church) to be a community, a little part of Croatia that would stay right here in Pittsburgh and be there for their children and their grandchildren,” Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto said. “As long as you keep that in your heart, as long as you are able to say that I'm proud of where I'm from, then you've lived up to their dream. . ”
It was a celebration, of sorts.
But it was decidedly somber.
“That church that stood proudly here has been demolished (and) I'm certainly not happy that happened,” said Josko Paro, Croatian ambassador to the United States. “We fought . but it was of no avail.”
Chris Togneri is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5632 or [email protected]
Support Local Journalism and help us continue covering the stories that matter to you and your community.
TribLIVE's Daily and Weekly email newsletters deliver the news you want and information you need, right to your inbox.
Hereford, St Nicholas Church
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Medieval font
St Nicholas Church is an early Victorian building on the site of an ancient Saxon church. The Grade II listed building was designed by the architect Thomas Duckham of Hereford.
The origins of St Nicholas' Church are unknown it may have existed before the Norman Conquest of 1066. It seems to have stood at the top of King Street, east of the present building.
The church's location is just outside the medieval city walls. That puts it near the site where Hugh le Despenser the Younger, Edward II's favourite, was hanged by Edward's rebellious barons in 1326.
According to the official church website, it stands next to the medieval location of Whitefriars monastery -- but there does not appear to be any record of such a monastery in the city. There was, however, a Greyfriars monastery, established in 1228 by Sir William Pembrugge (Pembridge) for the Franciscan order.
The friary stood south of the present church, between Barton Road and the River Wye. Among the famous people buried at Greyfriars was Owen Tudor, the father of Henry VII, who was beheaded following his defeat at the Battle of Mortimers Cross in 1460.
The medieval church was restored in 1718, under the patronage of the Duke of Chandos, who gave Â£330. The Mayor and Council of Hereford, by contrast, donated just Â£10.10s.
St Nicholas' Church was rebuilt from the ground up in 1842. It is built of sandstone under a roof of Welsh slate and loosely follows Early English Gothic design.
Items of historical interest include the original font, brought here from the old church. Ther are several 19th-century memorial plaques, mainly to rectors and their families. Among these is a plaque commemorating Rev Thomas William Parry (d 1871). This huge marble tablet was installed by Parry's successor Rev Samuel Holmes.
A few plaques come from the old church, including one to William Maddy (d 1819) and his daughter Frances (d 1822). Another memorial is to John Symonds (d 1924) who served as Mayor of Hereford three times.
There are very good 19th-century stained-glass windows, including the three-light east window, dedicated to a local doctor named George Bobart Hanbury, M.R.C.S. (d 1890). Another lancet window commemorates 'Ellen Jemima, Wife of H.B. Williams who died 18th March 1886&rsquo.
St Nicholas stands at the junction of Barton Road and Victoria Street (the A46). Unfortunately, the church is not normally open to visitors, but it is on the direct walking route from the cathedral to the Waterworks Museum, so it is worth pausing to have a look at the church exterior.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Hereford, St Nicholas Church
Address: Barton Road, Hereford, Herefordshire, England, HR4 0AY
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: At the junction of Barton Road and Victorias Street (the A49) immediately north of the river.
Website: Hereford, St Nicholas Church
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
St Nicholas Church / Memorial - History
The Nave and Chancel The Nave and Chancel of Warndon St.Nicholas are of one piece, and date from the early 12th century, though the chancel was rebuilt in the 14th century.
The nave is built of blue lias stone to about 4 feet, with red sandstone above, covered with lime plaster. In one of the pews of the south side, the remains of the 14th century axe hewn rood screen can be seen. The seating consists of 19th century box pews, fixed to the low-backed pews of 15th century origin. The ceiling is barrel-shaped, constructed of lathe and plaster, and is an 18th century "improvement".
At the west end of the nave, the ceiling lowers to form a room (seen only from the first floor of the 16th century tower). Heavy timbers suggest that this room was a large bell-code of an earlier date than the tower. The arch from the nave to the tower has been cut and partially refilled, but enough detail remains to show that a flat lintelled window was in place before the present tower was built. Both the north and the south doorways have 12th century stone arches.
Set into the floor of the chancel, on the south side, and in the Sanctuary, are 14th century hand-painted floor tiles, made in Malvern and common throughout Worcestershire at the time. These represent one of the largest extant collections of medieval floor tiles in the country. Set amongst them is the church's oldest memorial stone, beneath which is a burial chamber. The altar and high three-sided altar rails are Jacobean, but the date of the communion pew, running along the south wall, is uncertain.
This has given rise to the idea that it may be a scooped out pillar base, possibly of Roman origin. The bowl is lead lined.
The East window is of the Transistory period in design, dating from the early 1300s. It contains glass from the early part of the 14th century, with the Madonna and Child dated to 1325, and the other figure slightly earlier. The glass, though small, is of fine quality. The window was restored in 1985 by K.Barley of York.
Top: (not shown)
St.Andrew and the Annunciation
St.Andrew holds his attribute, the saltire cross.
Virgin Mary and Child
The figures are complete, with substantial remains of their original background and canopy work. The style and design show a close affinity to the Virgin and Child at Fladbury, Worcestershire. Note the detail of the breast feeding mother. The Virgin and Child glass featured in the Royal Academy Age of Chivalry exhibition (November 1987 - March 1988)
St.Paul and St.Peter
St.Paul is shown with bald head and sheathed sword St.Peter with the tonsure and two large keys.
The nave windows have square heads with tracery inserts, and some contain quantities of clear medieval glass. In the second window in the south wall, a bearded face can be distinguished.
The Charity Board In 1813, Mrs. Anne Summers, as requested in her first husband's will, gave £100 to the church, the interest on which was to be given for gowns for the poor women of the parish. No woman was to have a gown for two years running. In 1909, fourteen gowns were bought from Russell and Dorrell in Worcester for five shillings and sixpence each.
In 1822, Colonel Henry Barry gave £50 on behalf of his sister, Elizabeth Barry, for the poor. The interest amounted to 27 shillings (£1.35p) and was distributed in bread.
The piece of land north of the canal bridge at the end of Tolladine Lane, given to the Parish in the 1830s, was sold in 1873 to pay for church restoration.
Tenor. This is the oldest and the largest bell weighing 6 cwt (305 Kg). Inscribed "SANCTE GABRIHELIS ORA PRO NOBIS" (Holy Gabriel, pray for us). It was made by John de Belfrere of Worcester and is dated 1440
Treble. Dated 1710 and weighing 4.5 cwt (229Kg), inscribed with the name John Brook and the mark of Richard Sanders of Bromsgrove.
Treble. Dated 1737 and weighing 1.5 cwt (76 Kg), inscribed with the name James Payne and th e mark of Richard Sanders of Bromsgrove. This bell was given to St.Nicholas by Lulsley Church, and is reputed to be the last bell cast in Worcester.
Prattington, in Worcestershire Churches (1818) states that there had been another medieval bell in the tower inscribed "AVE MARIA ORA PRO NOBIS" (Hail Mary, pray for us). Unfortunately, the bell was sold for scrap in 1834, as it was cracked. The Church received £13.10s.2d. (£13.51p)The Exterior The porch was made in the 17th century and is claimed to be the oldest timber porch in the diocese.
An old scratch sun dial can be found on one of the buttresses on the south wall, next to the south door. This marked the hours of masses.
Please remember to fill out and return your 2021 Stewardship Pledge Form.
Click on Stewardship (very top right corner of this main page), then click Pledges to see
the link for the 2021 form for you to print and fill out.
Please call the church office if you have any questions.
Parishioners are required to sign up to attend Church services
and adhere to the updated guidelines in place.
Please follow the links below for the current Guidelines
and to sign up on our platform. (See under Parish News)
As circumstances evolve, we will remain focused on
keeping our clergy, parishioners and staff safe, healthy and informed.
Advanced registration is required to attend services.
Signup information for JULY can be found at:
To follow the whole Orthos/Divine Liturgy and read all the hymns,
Each Sunday morning to follow the on-line Liturgy go to
Please consider subscribing to the channel so you can
get updates when new material arrives
For more news, updates and church links, you may follow us on Facebook at
Additions came with a 14th century chapel on the north and a 15th century north aisle.
There are several fine brasses (but no brass rubbing, please) and behind the clergy stall on the left is an interesting sedilia monument commissioned by Erasmus Forde, prior to his death in 1531.
The vestry was originally a burial vault built in 1676. The north aisle was enlarged in 1836 and a south aisle added in 1864.
The bells were mentioned in an inventory of 1552 and were increased to six in number in 1753.