Harry Nuttall

Harry Nuttall

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Henry (Harry) Nuttall was born in Bolton on 9th November 1897. He played football for Fleetwood and Atherton before Charles Foweraker signed him for Bolton Wanderers in 1921.

Nuttall made his debut at wing-half against Tottenham Hotspur in September 1921. He joined a team that included Joe Smith, Billy Jennings, Jimmy Seddon, John Reid Smith, David Jack, Billy Butler, Walter Rowley, Ted Vizard, Dick Pym, Alex Finney and Bob Haworth.

Bolton Wanderers enjoyed a good FA Cup run in the 1922-23 season. They beat Leeds United (3-1), Huddersfield Town (1-0), Charlton Athletic (1-0) and Sheffield United (1-0) to reach the first cup final to be held at Wembley Stadium. Bolton won the game 2-0. The goals were scored by David Jack and Joe Smith.

Nuttall was a member of the Bolton Wanderers team that beat Manchester City in the 1926 FA Cup Final. David Jack scored the only goal of the game in the 76th minute.

Nuttall won his first international cap for England against Northern Ireland on 27th October 1927. Also in the team that day was Tom Cooper, Stanley Earle, Dixie Dean, Edward Hufton, and Joe Hulme. England won the game 2-0. The following month Nuttall played in the game against Wales that they lost 2-1.

In 1929, Nuttall, who was now captain of the side, won his third cup-winners medal when Bolton Wanderers beat Portsmouth 2-0. The goals were scored by Billy Butler and Harold Blackmore. Later that year Nuttall won his last international cap for England against Scotland.

Nuttall played in 326 games for Bolton Wanderers before joining Rochdale in May 1932. The following year he became coach at Nelson.

In 1935 Nuttall became second team trainer at Bolton Wanderers. He held this post until his retirement in 1964.

Harry Nuttall died in Bolton in 1969.

John Nuttall

Born in England in 1817, John Nuttall worked in mines-starting at age eleven-for most of two decades. He came to America in 1849. Working in a silk mill for seven years, Nuttall saved enough to pursue opening coal mines. With help from in-laws, he opened mines in western Pennsylvania. Successful, he learned of opportunity in New River Gorge, and opened mines here in 1873.

John Nuttall and his family prospered. When he died in 1897, the Nuttall family owned thousands of acres of land, operated profitable coal mines, and provided livelihood for hundreds of mine workers and their families. After John Nuttall's death, Nuttallburg lived on for 61 years until the mine closed for good in 1958.

It was the belief of [my grandfather] that the safest and most profitable investment that a man could make was the purchase of wild lands which had natural resources on or under them. Such lands should increase in value . . . [and] no trusted employee could embezzle them.

John Nuttall II, son of Lawrence Nuttall, and grandson of Nuttallburg's founder, John Nuttall

The Nuttall Family

John and Elizabeth Nuttall had three daughters and one son. The daughters all married, and their husbands and the Nuttall's son, Lawrence, managed and operated John Nuttall's mines. Lawrence and son-in-law Jackson Taylor came here to New River Gorge, the others stayed in Pennsylvania.

Lawrence William Nuttall

John Nuttall's son, Lawrence, helped manage his father's mines, but his passion was plants. He became a highly regarded botanist, discovering new species such as Fraser's sedge, here in New River Gorge.

[My father] went out every evening to gather plants and spent all of his spare moments in identifying his finds, among which were a couple of [species] that he could not identify. . . . they were a new discovery. . . .

About the Library: Mr. Harry Nuttall

A: Let me begin by saying that there never was a time when I was not comfortable in libraries. I&rsquove always been at ease in them, always felt at home in them, and always appreciated the possibilities they offered for intellectual and personal growth. To answer the question specifically, when I began library school, in addition to a research assistantship I had an internship at the main branch of the East Baton Rouge Parish public library, which served the entire southern half of the parish. I interned a year and a half. The supervisory librarians there trained me well.

Q: What is your background?

A: B.A. in English with a minor in history, M.A. in English, M.L.I.S. in librarianship. Between the two Master&rsquos degrees I got in all the coursework and the minor field examination toward a Ph.D. in English (external minor, education). By then the glut of Ph.D. s that already was afflicting history had begun to be felt in English as well, so I course corrected into library science, at that time a much more marketable degree. I knew that some academic libraries subdivided their public service/reference librarians into the broad academic disciplines of sciences, social sciences, and humanities, while a few went even further and specialized within the disciplines for example, art, business, history. Because the building drives the collection arrangement and almost forces subject specialization among the reference faculty, Houston Cole Library and JSU were a perfect fit for me.

Q: What do you do in your role as &hellip at the Library?

A: I am a reference/teaching librarian in the Public Services Department of Houston Cole Library and also am the literature subject specialist, which means that in addition to my reference/teaching duties I am responsible for coordinating with my campus liaison departments -- primarily English, but also drama. I communicate with faculty regarding curriculum support for the classes they teach but also make them aware of new publications which align with their research interests. I teach students, mostly in freshman English classes but also in other classes as well as individual consultations, how to use information tools and sources for their research assignments. This is everything: print, electronic databases, internet.

Q: What is your favorite thing about (or most memorable experience) working at the Houston Cole Library?

A: Favorite thing: working with students!! Always, that&rsquos the best. Solving problems. FINDING STUFF. Turning up something for faculty that will assist them with their research. (I like challenges.) Best of all is helping students obtain the knowledge and skills that enable them to do for themselves and become independent, self-directed learners long after their formal educations have ended.

Q: What do you like to do when you are not working?

A: Put old, abused, neglected stringed musical instruments on a workbench to try to get them playable again and give them back their lives. I am a Beatles brat, but my current musical preferences run to Americana/roots/traditional string band music.

Q: Describe yourself in three words.

A: Curious. Enthusiastic. Tenacious.

Q: What are some fun facts or interesting things you would like us to know about you?

A: In library school at LSU, I was my Dean&rsquos research assistant, and as such helped her with editing the American Library Association division journal RQ. Issues of RQ I worked on wound up being a set prop in the first &ldquoBack to the Future&rdquo movie, in the scene where Marty wakes up in his bed after his return to 1985.

I&rsquom not going to say anything about the Emmy

Q: In your own words&hellip (tell us what you think about our profession, our Library, our University)

A: So far the 21 st century is less the digital age than it is a transition period where digital and analog technologies must learn to co-exist, and researchers and students must learn to efficiently and effectively navigate both formats. Because so much information is so easily accessible now, the challenge is less to find information than it is to find the right information. This, and the current emphasis in education on teaching students critical thinking skills, makes it difficult to understand the move to marginalize libraries. One of the things librarians excel at is the teaching of critical thinking skills, and libraries are ideal laboratories for this. There is almost no activity that library users can engage in that does not involve some degree of critical thinking, from simply choosing a book for leisure reading to working out a research assignment. But teaching these skills properly requires extensive interaction with students, a continuous process which ideally would begin as a coherent program advanced incrementally through the school and public libraries, to be refined by the academic libraries: a sustained initiative which would equip students to find the answers to questions they will encounter in both career and life. That these critical thinking skills for the most part are transferable is an added benefit, as they help students develop learning agility -- the ability to apply what is learned in one situation to another -- a skill which can be a powerful predictor of success. In preparing students for career and life, libraries are an underutilized resource.

A medium-sized woodpecker with a fairly square head, a long, straight, chisel-like bill, and stiff, long tail feathers to lean against on tree trunks. The bill is nearly the same length as the head.

Relative Size

About a third again larger than a Downy Woodpecker


  • Both Sexes
    • Length: 7.1-10.2 in (18-26 cm)
    • Weight: 1.4-3.4 oz (40-95 g)
    • Wingspan: 13.0-16.1 in (33-41 cm)

    Hairy Woodpeckers are contrastingly black and white. The black wings are checkered with white the head has two white stripes (and, in males, a flash of red toward the back of the head). A large white patch runs down the center of the black back.

    Hairy Woodpeckers hitch up tree trunks and along main branches. They sometimes feed at the bases of trees, along fallen logs, and even on the ground at times. They have the slowly undulating flight pattern of most woodpeckers.

    Hairy Woodpeckers are birds of mature forests across the continent. They’re also found in woodlots, suburbs, parks, and cemeteries, as well as forest edges, open woodlands of oak and pine, recently burned forests, and stands infested by bark beetles.

    Bad feeling

    Change came quicker than anyone expected. In 1979, the council announced its intention to demolish the area. Holmes seemed the obvious choice to lead the “Retain the Houses” campaign: not only was he local but, as an architecture student, he was aware of the pioneering work by future Riba president Rod Hackney to fight slum clearances in Macclesfield.

    “There’d been lots of successful schemes for refurbishing Victorian houses, so there was plenty of that stuff going on. [Our houses] were just standard two-up two-downs, so there were perfectly easy ways of making them habitable.”

    But the campaign, Holmes says, was doomed from the start. “Hull’s always been a bit behind the times, in its own little bubble. The last high-rise wasn’t built here until 1979. It was the last public high-rise in England.”

    With a council seemingly wedded to the idea of “demolish and rebuild”, the residents’ conservation campaign was further weakened by dissent from within.

    “A lot of people had moved in [to the area] to get on the council list. People who owned their houses were in favour of keeping them, but those who were in landlord accommodation wanted the houses to come down. So there was a bit of bad feeling.”

    At a public inquiry held at Hull Guildhall, the conflict reached its climax. Holmes sat near the Italian barber: “He got up to object, saying, ‘I’ve got a business here’ – but was shouted down. He sat down next to me, then dropped dead on the floor. He’d had a heart attack.

    “I was pretty green,” Holmes admits. “I had no experience at all in that kind of stuff, and the campaign was shot down. The houses were judged to be not compatible with human existence.”

    These days, Holmes works for an architectural practice that specialises in making 1960s and 70s council homes compliant with today’s much more rigorous energy conservation rules.

    “The houses built following the demolitions were thermally inefficient and difficult to bring up to modern standards. Their electric underfloor heating was a disaster. Terraced houses work better from an ecological point of view, because they’re squashed together and they’ve got a limited external area.”

    Squashed together it could apply equally to the lives lived on those old Victorian streets where everyone knew everyone else and, more often than not, shared a surname. It’s the world Barry Nuttall would have known and which Jim Holmes saw the end of that sense of togetherness, swept away in the great race for urban modernisation after the second world war.

    The cul-de-sac camp was finally forced to leave in 1986, after three years. Photograph: Jim Holmes

    Listening to Holmes’s stories about Mrs Allen and the old man with the rheumy eyes reminds me of Douglas Dunn’s Terry Street poems. Written in the late 1960s, they document the comings and goings of life on another old Hull terrace, now demolished.

    The best known is probably A Removal From Terry Street. As the narrator watches his neighbour clearing out to a new estate on the edge of town, he notices him pushing a lawnmower down the street – an implement he could have had no use for in Terry Street’s grassless, cramped back yards. The poem ends: That man, I wish him well. I wish him grass.

    It’s an optimistic thought but, for some, relocation to an edge-of-town estate meant dislocation from everything familiar. Was it this fear that drove Nuttall to dig in for so long?


    The Nuttallburg tipple sits over an old railroad line used to load coal.

    NPS photo/Louise McLaughlin

    Nuttallburg Yesterday
    Nuttallburg was one of almost fifty towns that sprang up along the New River in response to a growing nation's need for coal.

    Nuttallburg coal conveyor and tipple c. 1927

    In 1870, England-born entrepreneur John Nuttall saw opportunity in the coal rich New River gorge and began buying land and building infrastructure along the Keeneys Creek drainage. When the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway was completed through the gorge in 1873, the town was ready for its arrival. Nuttallburg became the second mining town in the New River gorge to ship the "smokeless" coal, processed from a mineral seam hundreds of feet above the river corridor and shipped to industrial cities hundreds of miles away.

    Nuttallburg was a bustling mining community by the turn of the century, continuing to thrive after Nuttall's death in 1897 under the direction of his heirs. The town became the focus of national attention in the 1920's when, in an effort known as "vertical integration" to gain control of all aspects of production, automobile industrialist Henry Ford leased the town's mines to provide coal for his company steel mills. The Fordson Coal Company made many improvements to the mine and town during the eight year tenure, but Ford's plan for "vertical integration" failed when it became evident he could neither control, nor afford to buy, the railroad that was responsible for transportation of the coal his mines produced. He sold interests in the Nuttallburg mines in 1928.

    The mines of Nuttallburg passed through three owners after Henry Ford, with production limited to primarily local use in later years as the market for New River coal declined. Production ceased in 1958 and Nuttallburg became like so many other riverside communities that rose and fell due to changes in the industry. A collection of empty buildings and structure-less foundations, concealed beneath trees and vines, is all that remains.

    Nuttallburg Today
    In 1998 the Nuttall family transferred ownership of Nuttallburg to the National Park Service. The site was inventoried, documented, and in 2005, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2011 the National Park Service completed a multi-year project that involved clearing vegetation and stabilizing structures. Today it is considered one of the most intact examples of a coal mining complex in West Virginia and one of the most complete coal related industrial sites in the United States.

    Nuttallburg is a nationally significant, protected historic site. Please help us preserve it. Do not remove or deface any artifacts and report any acts of vandalism to a park ranger or local authorities at 304-465-0508.

    Visiting Nuttallburg
    Use caution when driving to Nuttallburg. Many of the country roads are narrow, winding, steep, and often one-lane paved or one-lane gravel road. Large vehicles and trailers are not advisable.

    Driving to Nuttallburg
    From Canyon Rim Visitor Center, go north on US 19 0.3 miles to the next intersection, and turn right onto Lansing-Edmond Road (County Route 5/82). Follow Lansing-Edmond Road (becomes CR 82) 6.0 miles to Winona. Turn right onto Keeneys Creek Road (CR 85/2), continue past the houses (do not cross the creek) and the road turns to gravel. Travel 4.1 miles to the main Nuttallburg parking area and restroom. Parking for disabled visitors is located an additional 0.1 miles beyond the main parking area, closer to the tipple.

    Winona can also be reached from the Canyon Rim Visitor Center by traveling north on US 19 to Hico 5.0 miles. Go east on US 60 (Midland Trail) 4.4 miles to Lookout, turn right onto Lansing-Edmond Road (CR 82) and go 2.1 miles to Winona, then follow the directions above for Keeneys Creek Road (CR 85/2).

    Along the Way
    You will be passing through what was once Nuttallburg's African American community before you reach the main parking area. Exhibit panels located at pull-offs along the road interpret this and other features. Stop on the drive in or walk the short distance back from the main parking area to get a better picture of what life was like in the historic community.

    Thomas Lincoln (1812-1883)

    The Lincoln's Sparrow is a regular winter bird in the Bay Area. Many people imagine it was named in honor of President Abe Lincoln. In fact, Audubon named the bird in 1834, in honor of his younger friend, Thomas Lincoln of Dennysville, Maine. Audubon had met young Lincoln before the trip to Labrador in 1833 and thought the youth a natural crew member. He was proven correct— Lincoln was hard-working and brave.

    The group reached northern Nova Scotia in late June, there Audubon heard a bird song he did not recognize. He called for his companions, and it was Thomas Lincoln who first located and shot the little songster. It was a new bird that Audubon originally called Tom's Finch. It would be the only new species Audubon found on the trip.

    Lincoln returned to Maine where he became a successful farmer, taciturn neighbor and staunch abolitionist. In his later years, Lincoln recalled Audubon as "a nice man, but as Frenchy as thunder." Another member of the Labrador expedition was William Ingalls, and his old-age recollection of Lincoln was "quiet, reserved, sensible, practical and reliable."

    Academy of Natural Sciences

    F rom 1836 until 1841 Nuttall worked at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, making short trips and writing up the hundreds of new species he had found. Articles appeared in the Academy's journals detailing novelties in various families. Others he sent in manuscript form to John Torrey and Asa Gray for insertion into their newly proposed Flora of North America. Unfortunately, the sudden death of Nuttall's uncle, and a stipulation in the will that Nuttall spend at least six months of each year in England, forced him to leave America. Except for a brief stay in late 1847 and early 1848, when Nuttall described the last of his American novelties, he remained in Europe.9

    Aside from a few matters left unresolved from his earlier travels, the primary reason for returning to the United States was to complete work on his latest project The North American Sylva. Unlike his previous efforts, this was to be a multi-volume, lavishly illustrated set of books that accounted for all of the trees in North America, with special reference to those along the Pacific Coast. Published in three volumes (in 1842, 1846 and 1849) in Philadelphia, the colored lithographs are even today of an excellent quality.

    Nuttall's contributions were many. He wrote papers in geology, botany and zoology&mdashthere is still an ornithological society named in his honor&mdashand it is hard to travel anywhere in the American West without seeing a plant that was not named or collected by him.10 He was the first to champion the use of a natural system of classification in the United States, he authored a textbook on botany, and his magnificent Silva is difficult to match even today. He was first and foremost a field botanist, and as such changed the direction of botany. After Nuttall, knowledge of the North American flora would come from a combination of field and museum work, not just from old, flat, dried things on a piece of paper collected by someone else.

    Have Your Say

    Geraldine Hunt
    I read with interest your article as Robert Shorrock was either the great grandfather or the grandfather of my deceased ex husband, John Pickup Shorrock.I have been looking for information on this line of the family for my daughter Caroline, daughter of John P. Shorrock.If you are able to provide more information I would appreciate. Kind regards Geraldine Hunt

    graet information for kids when their homework is to make a leaflet and write about the histor of darwen

    I liked it all it was lovley jubley Thank You for letting me look at your pictures and your writing Thank You very much.

    Harry Nuttall - History

    During the years between 1908 and 1914, Nuttall re-engaged four times to serve in the East Lancashire Royal Engineers (T.F.). The following is the schedule of these re-engagements: 19 November 1908 for one year, 10 May 1910 for two years, 6 March 1912 for two years, and 11 March 1914 for two years.


    When the Great War broke out in Europe in August of 1914, the 42 nd (East Lancashire) Division was one of the first to be called up. At the time of the call up, Sergeant Nuttall was serving in the 42 nd Division Signal Company commanded by Captain A.N. Lawford, R.E. (T.F.). The company was mobilized for service on the 5 th of August 1914 at Old Trafford in Manchester and joined the 42 nd Division under canvas at Bury, north of Manchester, on the 20 th of August. The Commander Royal Engineers (C.R.E.) of the division at the time of mobilization was Lieutenant Colonel C.E. Newton, R.E.

    The 42 nd Division Signal Company concentrated at Chesham Camp in Bury on the 7 th of September 1914 and three days later it embarked at Southampton on the Donaldson liner S.S. Saturnia, together with the Lancashire Fusiliers Brigade Headquarters and the 6 th and 7 th Lancashire Fusiliers. The horses, cable wagons and transport in charge of Company Sergeant Major Campbell, together with a small detachment of the company, embarked on another vessel.[5]

    The officers of the 42 nd Division Signal Company on leaving England were:[6]

    Captain A.N. Lawford, R.E. (T.F.) - in command

    Lieutenant G.L. Broad, R.E. (T.F.) - No. 1 Section

    2 nd Lieutenant R.S. Newton (6 th Lancashire Fusiliers) – No. 2 (Lancashire Fusiliers) Section

    2 nd Lieutenant G.N. Robinson (4 th East Lancashire Regiment) – No. 3 (East Lancashire) Section

    Lieutenant C.H. Williamson (7 th Manchester Regiment) – No. 4 (Manchester) Section

    The company reached Alexandria on the 25 th of September 1914 and the following evening it detrained at Abbassia, Cairo, and took possession of the old Polygon Barracks that had lately been occupied by the Camel Corps School.

    The company quickly settled down in its new home and undertook a hard period of training for the next seven months. The training program included riding and driving, cable laying, visual signalling, musketry and technical lectures on various subjects. The company also prepared for combined brigade and divisional operations, which took place later on the vast open desert adjacent to Polygon barracks.

    Following this period of training, one of the first tasks allotted to the company was the organization of signal communications in the Defence of Cairo scheme, as a precaution against the breakdown of civil telegraphic communications in Cairo. The company's work was also involved with the large Imperial wireless station near Abou Zabaal, about fifteen miles from Cairo. This work was constantly practiced by heliograph and limelight under the supervision of Major Lawford, who had been promoted since arriving in Egypt.

    Detachments of the 42 nd Division Signal Company were sent to Ismailia for work on the Suez Canal defences where they laid cable line from Ismailia to Kantara. This work proved of great value in the defence of the Canal against the Turkish attack in February of 1915.

    Early in 1915 the War Office increased the establishment of the 42 nd Division Signal Company from approximately 150 all ranks to 208, with a proportionate increase in horses, vehicles and equipment. To bring the company up to strength, a large draft of men arrived from England in March. Nuttall, now Company Sergeant Major of the unit, soon found his responsibilities in the company increased proportionately with the increased establishment.[7]

    The company took part in several division route marches through Cairo and its environs, including a memorable march on the 28 th of March 1915 before General Sir Ian Hamilton, who was then preparing for operations in the Dardanelles.

    After seven months of strenuous training, CSM Nuttall and the men of the company were in a high state of efficiency and readiness when the call came for more serious work at the end of April namely, the landings on Gallipoli.

    CSM Nuttall landed on Gallipoli on the 4 th of May 1915.[8] The first bivouac of company headquarters was on the edge of the cliffs above Lancashire Landing. A move inland was quickly made to a position selected for divisional headquarters, where a Signal Office was formed in tents in the early hours of the 11 th of May. Communications between division headquarters and the brigades were then rapidly established. The Signal Office was moved to a new position on the 21 st of May, occupying some old trenches about 400 yards to the east of the first position.

    The company was involved with preliminary work in connection with the Battle of Krithia, which was scheduled to start on the 4 th of June 1915. It was while engaged on this work on the 3 rd of June that Sergeant C.E. Williams won the first Distinguished Conduct Medal awarded to the company, while in charge of two strong parties laying cables forward along the Krithia Nullah. All day long the enemy had shelled this main communication route, which was congested with all kinds of traffic. One of the working parties was caught by two salvoes that killed two men, wounded another, and smashed up the cable barrows killing a horse. Sergeant Williams with splendid courage and determination reorganized his men, and by force of personal example carried on and finished the job.

    During the severe fighting commencing on the 4 th of June 1915, the whole of the 42 nd Division Signal Company had four or five days of strenuous and unceasing work in support of the two brigades involved in the battle.

    On the morning of the 16 th of June 1915 the enemy guns were especially active and the 42 nd Division Signal Company was singled out for their attention. Five of the headquarters horses were killed in a few minutes of bombardment, but by the ready assistance of officers and men the remainder were gotten away from their position in the open and dug in without further losses. During this bombardment, CSM Nuttall, who most likely assisted in getting the horses to shelter, was slightly wounded by shrapnel.

    The company worked through the remainder of June and July in support of the operations of the forward brigades before being relieved of front line duties. Early in August the division, after only a few days out of the line, took over the northern sector of the Allied line from the 29 th Division, a sector extending from the coast at Fusilier Bluff on the left and across the great Gully Ravine. Divisional headquarters were at the mouth of the ravine on the edge of Gully Beach. The Signal Office at this location was in a sandbagged shed, roofed, and under the protection of a steep bank.

    By the end of August 1915 the whole company was very low in strength owing to the large amount of sickness, the chief causes being dysentery, jaundice and septic sores. Major Lawford, Lieutenant Broad and CSM Nuttall all became ill about this time. On the 26 th of August 1915 CSM Nuttall was admitted to 1/3 rd East Lancashire Field Ambulance and on the 1 st of September 1915 he was evacuated from Gallipoli and taken to the Military Hospital at the Citadel in Cairo. He was suffering from a severe case of jaundice and was subsequently admitted to the 17 th General Hospital (Alexandria and Victoria Military Hospital) in Alexandria on the 5 th of October 1915.

    CSM Nuttall was discharged from the 17 th General Hospital on the 20 th of October 1915, but because of his continuing ill health, he was not returned to his unit at Gallipoli. Instead, he was posted to the convalescent center at the 42 nd Division Base Depot at Mustapha, Egypt. On the 30 th of November 1915 he joined the 42 nd Division Base Signal Depot at Cleopatria.

    The 42 nd Division Signal Company remained at Gallipoli until the 3 rd of January 1916 when the company headquarters reached Mudros. The company embarked on the 16 th of January 1916 for Egypt and after arriving at Alexandria, the unit entrained for Cairo and encamped at Mena under the shadow of the great pyramids. The whole of the 42 nd Division Signal Company arrived at Mena by the 22 nd of January. After a brief and welcomed rest at Mena Camp, the company proceeded to Shallufa on the Suez Canal on the 2 nd of February 1916 and immediately commenced work in connection with the Canal Defence scheme.

    It is not known whether CSM Nuttall rejoined his unit at Shallufa. On the 29 th of March 1916 he was admitted to the base hospital at Mustapha, suffering from rheumatic fever. Nuttall was subsequently invalided to England from Alexandria aboard HS Dunluce Castle on the 17 th of April 1916. His war was effectively over.

    It appears that Nuttall may have been granted an extended period of leave after arriving in England. On the 26 th of August 1916 he was admitted to Southern General Hospital at Edgbaston in the West Midlands, to be treated for rheumatism and gastritis.

    On the 4 th of September 1916 CSM Nuttall was discharged from hospital for light duty. His service records do no indicate where this light duty was performed. On the 27 th of November he was formally transferred from the 42 nd (East Lancashire) Division Signal Company to the 71 st Division Signal Company. His Regimental Number was also changed at this time to 426898.[9]

    The 71 st Division was being formed in Hampshire and Surrey in November of 1916 hence, CSM Nuttall was one of the first men to join the new unit. Most of the divisional engineers were from Lancashire and Scotland, so Nuttall was again to serve with men from his home district.[10]

    Nuttall’s health was still a matter of some concern even after his transfer to the 71 st Division Signal Company. On the 22 nd of January 1917 he was called to appear before a medical board in Farnham, Surrey. The board placed him in Medical Category C1: permanently unfit for general service, but fit for home service. The board’s statement as to his disability read "rheumatism and gastritis following rheumatic fever and jaundice in February 1916 as a result of climatic conditions." The findings of the medical board allowed Nuttall to continue serving in the 71 st Division as long as it remained in England.

    The 71 st Division moved to Essex in March of 1917, with headquarters at Colchester and with the responsibility of defending the local coastline.[11] Almost as soon as he arrived in the Colchester area, Nuttall was admitted to Hamilton Road Military Hospital on the 9 th of March 1917 for treatment of myalgia.[12] He was discharged from hospital on the 12 th of April 1917 and rejoined his unit. At this time, the 71 st Division Signal Company was at Cavalry Barracks in Colchester.

    On the 11 th of May 1917 Nuttall elected to continue in service under the Military Service Act of 1916. Despite his many illnesses it seems that he was eager to soldier on until the end of the war. In December of 1917 it was decided to disband the 71 st Division, although the division did not cease to exist until April 1918. Nuttall was transferred to the 67 th Division where he assumed the duties of the Company Sergeant Major of the divisional signal company.

    The 67 th Division had been formed in 1916 for service overseas. Twice it had been warned to be ready to proceed to Ireland and once to France, but all moves were cancelled. When Nuttall joined the 67 th Division Signal Company in 1918, the unit was in East Anglia on Home Defence and it remained there until the end of the war.[13]

    CSM Nuttall remained with the 67 th Division Signal Company until the end of the war and beyond. On the 6 th of February 1919 he was given a medical examination at Colchester in preparation for demobilization. At the time he complained of pains in his shoulder and arm during cold weather along with dyspeptic (indigestion) symptoms. The doctors diagnosed his problems as rheumatism and gastritis.

    On the 11 th of February 1919 CSM Nuttall was transferred from the 67 th Division Signal Company in East Anglia to No. 1 Dispersal Unit at Heaton Park in Manchester in preparation for his discharge from the army. He was issued his Protection Certificate and Certificate of Identity there on the 13 th of February. This certificate indicated that his Record Office and Pay Office were located at Chatham in Kent and that his address for pay was 16 Station Road, Higher Openshaw, Lancaster. The certificate further indicated that Nuttall was assigned to the Eastern Command and that in case of emergency his place for rejoining the Colours was to be at Deganwy in Wales. Nuttall’s year of birth on the certificate was given as 1883, a contradiction to the 1880 date given on his enlistment papers. Finally, the certificate indicated that his Medical Category was B-1 temporarily unfit for general service.

    For his service during the Great War of 1914-1918, Company Sergeant Major Roland Harry Nuttall received the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. On the 1 st of May 1919 he was also awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal.


    a. Promotions: Nuttall received the following promotions during his time in service:

    Watch the video: Grdaughter