Ogdensburg - History

Ogdensburg - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.



Ogdensburg


Ogdensburg Historical Society


OFFICERS: 1/1/20 TO 12/31/21:
PRESIDENT – Candice Horner – 973-271-9405
VICE-PRESIDENT – John F. Kibildis – 973-827-4698
SECRETARY – Christine Dabrowski – 973-827-7756
TREASURER – Megan Macmullin – 973-827-3154

TRUSTEES (exp of term):
Dominic Zampella – 12/31/22 – 973-209-5375
Mark McFadden – 12/31/22 – 973-271-6332
Bill Washer – 12/31/20 – 973-827-4694
Candy Horner – 12/31/20 – 973-827-9405
Dion Derkach – 12/31/21 – 973-827-5458
Christine Dabrowski – 12/31/21 – 973-827-7756

MUSEUM CURATORIAL COMMITTEE:
John F. Kibildis
Christine Dabrowski
Mark McFadden
Dion Derkach
Candy Horner

BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING DATES 2020:
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 19 – 7:00 P.M.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 6 – 7:00 P.M.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 19 – 7:00 P.M.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11 – 7:00 P.M

QUARTERLY GENERAL MEETING DATES 2020:
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 4 – 7:00 P.M.
SATURDAY, JUNE PICNIC – TBA-JUNE 6?
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 2 – 7:00 P.M.
MONDAY, DECEMBER 7 – 7:00 P.M.

Individual Membership $12 per Year
Family Membership $18 per Year
Life Membership $50 per person

Old Schoolhouse andFirehouse Museum

  • Built in 1910 as an addition to the 1872 school
  • 1930-1972 served as Firehouse
  • Dedicated as museum – April 1, 1989
  • Dedicated as a town historic site – June 10, 2006
  • Sussex County Historic Site dedication – July 12, 2008

The RECYCLING CENTER is located at the Boro garage. It is for Ogdensburg residents only. The dumpsters are in a fenced area. The area will be opened every Saturday morning and remain open until the dumpsters are full. The gat es will then be locked closed and reopened the following Saturday. If the gates are open, you can enter the area during daylight hours.


History

While library service in Ogdensburg dates back to at least 1828, the library moved into its present location, a Victorian mansion, in 1895. A remodel in 1921-1922, intended to transform the exterior, resulted in a fire during the construction process that destroyed much of the interior. Fortunately, most of the collection had already been removed, and what remained was stored in a fireproof vault. While some were damaged by water, the cost to the library – and to history – could have been much greater. The items in the vault were part of the Remington Indian Collection, donated by Frederic Remington’s widow Eva, currently housed in the museum across Washington Street from the library and the impetus behind the building’s remodel.

Through the years, the library has continued to grow and adapt itself to the needs of the public, adding the Isabella D. Dodge children’s room in 1979, (improved in 1984 and again in 2010,) an elevator in 1983, public computers in 1987, and a teen room in 2009.

All three levels of the library contain artwork by local or locally-connected artists. Featured are: Edmund J. Sawyer, John C. Hayes, Louise Chandler, Jack Beals, and John Morrow. The murals on the wall of the children’s room were created by Jo-Ellen Murray and Mary LaMere.

Aside from local history, the library contains other featured collections. A 1983 bequest by Harry Dundas Mahoney provides resources for the purchase of books pertaining to civil, mechanical, electrical, and construction engineering. A donation of books owned by General Newton Martin Curtis led to a continued emphasis on civil war material.

Since the beginning of the 20th century, the area between the library and River Road has been a green space – Library Park – visible through large bay windows and open to the public. The park features a soldiers’ monument and the newly dedicated Markert Memorial Garden, as well as seating and a large gazebo – a frequent site for summer weddings and concerts. Come enjoy the view from your library!

In 1996, Persis Yates Boyesen completed a centennial history of the library (Nulla Vestigia Retrorsum [No Steps Backwards],) which is available for purchase in the foyer. This page (and the library as a whole) owes a large debt to her work.

For a small donation you can get this comprehensive look at the Ogdensburg Public Library’s History.

Ogdensburg Genealogy (in St Lawrence County, NY)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Ogdensburg are also found through the St Lawrence County and New York pages.

Ogdensburg Birth Records

New York, Birth Records, 1880-present New York State Department of Health

Ogdensburg Cemetery Records

Zophen Cemetery Billion Graves

Ogdensburg Census Records

United States Federal Census, 1790-1940 Family Search

Ogdensburg Church Records

Ogdensburg City Directories

Ogdensburg Death Records

New York, Death Records, 1880-present New York State Department of Health

Ogdensburg Histories and Genealogies

Ogdensburg Immigration Records

New York, Ogdensburg Passenger and Crew Lists, 1948-1972 Family Search

Ogdensburg Land Records

Ogdensburg Map Records

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Ogdensburg, St Lawrence County, New York, April 1892 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Ogdensburg, St Lawrence County, New York, September 1884 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Ogdensburg, St Lawrence County, New York, September 1898 Library of Congress

Ogdensburg Marriage Records

Ogdensburg Newspapers and Obituaries

Advance news. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1967-12-31 to 1971-05-30 NYS Historic Newspapers

Advance-News 01/14/2007 to Current Genealogy Bank

Daily sentinel. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1848-04-19 to 1848-09-14 NYS Historic Newspapers

Frontier sentinel. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1844-04-02 to 1845-03-25 NYS Historic Newspapers

Journal 10/13/2009 to 06/18/2019 Genealogy Bank

North Country Catholic. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1946-03-03 to 2018-12-26 NYS Historic Newspapers

Northern New York Historical Newspapers, includes North Country Catholic, 1946-2006 Northern New York Library Network

Northern New York Historical Newspapers, includes Ogdensburg Advance & Ogdensburg Advance-News, 1861-1962 Northern New York Library Network

Northern New York Historical Newspapers, includes Ogdensburg Advance-News, 1963-1989 Northern New York Library Network

Northern New York Historical Newspapers, includes Ogdensburg Frontier Sentinel, 1844-1858 Northern New York Library Network

Northern New York Historical Newspapers, includes Ogdensburg Journal, 1857-1989 Northern New York Library Network

Northern New York Historical Newspapers, includes Ogdensburg St. Lawrence Republican, 1827-1916 Northern New York Library Network

Northern light. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1831-08-18 to 1833-05-30 NYS Historic Newspapers

Ogdensburg NY Daily Journal 1857-1869 Fulton History

Ogdensburg NY News 1899-1922 Fulton History

Ogdensburg advance-news. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1963-01-06 to 1967-12-24 NYS Historic Newspapers

Ogdensburg journal. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1932-12-13 to 1971-06-04 NYS Historic Newspapers

Ogdensburgh NY St Lawrence Republican 1857-1892 Fulton History

St. Lawrence American. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1856-02-28 to 1857-02-19 NYS Historic Newspapers

St. Lawrence Gazette 12/16/1817 to 12/22/1818 Genealogy Bank

St. Lawrence Republican and Ogdensburgh weekly journal. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1858-11-30 to 1916-05-31 NYS Historic Newspapers

St. Lawrence Republican, and general advertiser. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1831-01-01 to 1833-05-14 NYS Historic Newspapers

St. Lawrence Republican. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1833-05-21 to 1858-11-23 NYS Historic Newspapers

St. Lawrence gazette. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1817-12-23 to 1830-05-11 NYS Historic Newspapers

The Advance-news. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1933-03-21 to 1963-05-13 NYS Historic Newspapers

The Ogdensburg advance and St. Lawrence weekly Democrat. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1877-01-03 to 1927-06-02 NYS Historic Newspapers

The Ogdensburg advance. St. Lawrence Sunday Democrat. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1927-06-05 to 1933-03-19 NYS Historic Newspapers

The Ogdensburg journal. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1868-06-30 to 1916-06-03 NYS Historic Newspapers

The Ogdensburgh sentinel. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1847-12-07 to 1858-10-12 NYS Historic Newspapers

The Republican-journal. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1916-06-05 to 1932-12-12 NYS Historic Newspapers

The advance. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1861-03-04 to 1862-03-14 NYS Historic Newspapers

The daily journal. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1857-06-20 to 1868-06-29 NYS Historic Newspapers

The journal. Ogdensburg, N.Y. 1971-06-07 to 1989-12-29 NYS Historic Newspapers

Offline Newspapers for Ogdensburg

According to the US Newspaper Directory, the following newspapers were printed, so there may be paper or microfilm copies available. For more information on how to locate offline newspapers, see our article on Locating Offline Newspapers.

Advance News. (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) 1967-Current

Advance. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1861-1864

Boy's Journal. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1854-1857

Boys' Daily Journal. (Ogdensburgh, [N.Y.]) 1855-1857

Daily Journal. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1857-1868

Frontier Sentinel. (Ogdensburgh, St. Lawrence County, N.Y.) 1844-1847

Journal. (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) 1971-Current

Ogdensburg Advance and St. Lawrence Weekly Democrat. (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) 1867-1927

Ogdensburg Advance-News. (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) 1935-1967

Ogdensburg Journal. (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) 1868-1916

Ogdensburg Journal. (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) 1932-1971

Ogdensburgh Palladium, and St. Lawrence Advertiser. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1810-1812

Ogdensburgh Palladium. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1812-1814

Ogdensburgh Sentinel. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1847-1858

Ogdensburgh Times. (Ogdensburgh [N.Y.]) 1840-1844

Republican-Journal. (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) 1916-1932

St. Lawrence Democrat. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1855-1867

St. Lawrence Gazette. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1815-1830

St. Lawrence Republican and Ogdensburgh Weekly Journal. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1858-1916

St. Lawrence Republican, and General Advertiser. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1831-1833

St. Lawrence Republican. (Ogdensburgh, N.Y.) 1833-1858

Ogdensburg Probate Records

Ogdensburg School Records

Additions or corrections to this page? We welcome your suggestions through our Contact Us page


St. Lawrence State Hospital

The psychiatric center came first. Initially, it was to be call the Ogdensburg State Asylum for the Insane, but the name was changed to the St. Lawrence State Hospital before the first patient was admitted. In the late 1970's, it was re-christened the St. Lawrence Psychiatric Center.

The asylum was authorized in 1886 by the state Legislature after being persuaded of the need for such an institution in the northern part of the state. The governor appointed a site selection commission including Dr. Peter M. Wise (superintendent of the Willard State Hospital) and William P. Letchworth (a member of the state Board of Charities who was also instrumental in establishing what is now Groveland). They recommended Point Airy, a 950-acre tract of farmland bulging out into the St. Lawrence River The state purchased the land for $90,500 in 1887.

Later that year Isaac G. Perry, the state architect, consulted a group of experts to plan the asylum. Among them were Dr. Wise and Dr. Carlos F. MacDonald. Dr MacDonald was superintendent of the Auburn State Asylum for Insane Criminals and, when that was relocated, he became the first superintendent of Matteawan State Hospital (now Fishkill). Dr. MacDonald was present at the world's first execution by electrocution, and his graphic report on William Kemmler's death at Auburn in 1890 is frequently cited in death penalty studies.

Their ideas laid the foundation for the family-style institution that would become standard in the design and conduct of future psychiatric hospitals. Plans drawn by the architect called for three discrete groups of buildings, so that patients could be grouped according to their particular psychiatric disorder. The buildings would be small, not exceeding two floors, with sleeping quarters above and rooms for day activities below.

The St. Lawrence State Hospital opened on December 9, 1890, under the superintendency of Dr. Wise, who transferred from Willard. Dr Wise instituted a program of "moral treatment," designed to rescue the patient from the outside pressures that were widely thought to cause insanity. The "moral" inmoral treatment refers not to ethics but rather, as in the phrase "moral support," to "morale." Conceived before the advent of drug therapy and other medical interventions, moral treatment meant an attitude and an environment: a nurturing routine of rest without stress in comforting surroundings.

Recreation, as a mental stimulant, was an important component of the therapeutic program. Entertainments included stereopticon shows, musical and comedy productions, sleigh rides, popcorn parties, phonographic entertainments, camping on Lotus Island, skating and sledding in the winter and, in summer, river excursions on "Dorothy" (the hospital steamboat). Dancing was also encouraged, because it combined physical exercise with what is, in Dr. Wise's scale, "the most potent of all the factors of moral treatment - music."

Recreation was only one form of "purposeful activity" by which St. Lawrence strove to arouse previously unreachable patients from apathy. In 1908, St. Lawrence pioneered a fledgling occupational therapy program, described as "employment in various occupations for the purpose of re-educating the facilities of attention and volition." It would be imitated in state hospitals all over the country. Patients worked at weaving, sewing, woodworking and knitting (using wool from the hospital flock).

The hospital, like prisons of the day, resembled a self-supporting community. The farm was so productive that outside food purchases were seldom necessary it also supplied the patients' tobacco needs. The farm closed in the 1960's, after changes in state law concerning patient labor. The land was sold to the Ogdensburg Bridge and Port Authority for industrial development. In 1928, St. Lawrence instituted a beauty salon, another first that was soon widely imitated in recognition of its therapeutic value as a morale booster.

The nursing school was another first for St. Lawrence. When the hospital opened in 1890, there were only 23 schools of nursing in the U.S., and only 11 had been in existence long enough to have produced graduates. Dr. Wise reasoned that it would be easier to train his own nurses than to recruit them. In 1890, before the first patients arrived, he established a coed nursing school, the first such school affiliated with a state institution. No suitable texts were available, so Dr. Wise wrote his own which became the standard text in all Department of Mental Hygiene nursing schools. In 1913, the curriculum was expanded from two years to three.

In 1972, with its in-patient population declining, New York started phasing out its costly nursing schools. St. Lawrence's program, operating out of the Flower Building, was the last to close (in 1981).


HISTORY

1300s - The first to establish settlements in the North Country were the Iroquois (14th century).

1600s - French, Dutch, and English fur-traders came followed shortly after by the French missionaries, Father Issac Jogues, S.J. and companions who were martyred establishing the first missions among the Five Nations.For a long time the Church of the North Country was served by the Bishops of Quebec because of the Intolerance of the English and later the American rule. The Catholic Church was suspect because of the ties to the English enemy, France.

1752 - The Mission of The Holy Trinity at La Presentation Fort (Ogdensburg) was established May 29, 1752.

1808- Established as part of the Diocese of New York1847 - Established as part of the Diocese of Albany

1872 - The Diocese of Ogdensburg was acknowledged on February 16, 1872 by Pope Pius IX, "We, with definite knowledge, mature deliberation, and by our Apostolic Authority, in virtue of the present document, separate and sever from the Diocese of Albany, the following territory -- the counties of St. Lawrence, Franklin, Clinton, Jefferson, Lewis, and Essex, together with that part of the counties of Herkimer and Hamilton which lies above the northern line of the townships of Ohio and Russia and this same territory we erect and constitute as a true and properly called diocese.


History Of Ogdensburg

Over 260 years ago a Sulpician missionary from Quebec traveled up the St. Lawrence River by canoe in search of a site for a new settlement and mission. The river at the time was unadulterated by development, and the large stand of pines and oaks where the muddied waters of the Oswegatchie River mixed with the mighty St. Lawrence River must have been a spectacular site. French-born Abbé François Piquet thought the site strategically located and elected to build his mission and fort here in 1749. It was the first white habitation of what would eventually become the City of Ogdensburg, NY.

Picquet named the settlement Fort de la Présentation for the Feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which was the day he arrived at the site. His purpose was to teach the indigenous peoples of the area and protect the land for his native France. The Fort served as a church, school, trading post and Native American village. The first mass at the site was celebrated on June 1, 1749 and a cornerstone was carved in rock to mark the site.

The cornerstone read: "In nomine = Dei Omnipotentis Huic habitationi initia dedit Franc Picquet MDCCXLIX" (Piçquet laid the foundation of this habitation in the name of Almighty God, in 1749.) The hand engraved cornerstone can still be viewed at the entrance to Ogdensburg City Hall.

Prior to the arrival of the French in this area of the New World, the region was the hunting grounds of the Iroquois League, which was comprised of the Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca nations.

Ogdensburg's French period came to an end in 1760. Downstream in the St. Lawrence River on Chimney Island Fort Lévis was constructed by Captain Pierre Pouchot, French engineer and soldier. Fort Lévis was the site of the last major battle between the French and English in the French and Indian War. Both Forts fell under British rule. Fort la de Presentation was renamed Fort Oswegatchie and became a supply depot and a busy stopping place for traveling soldiers.

British forces and the new United States of America battled for control of the region. The British were eventually ordered to evacuate the area on June 6, 1796 and the first settlers under the American Flag arrived in Ogdensburg on August 11, 1796. Ogdensburg was named for Colonel Samuel Ogden, who was a patriot during the Revolutionary War.

Ogdensburg has the distinction of being one of the few places in the United States to have been under the government of three flags. Over the course of the next 20 years, Ogdensburg became an important border community. Industry flourished along the river and Ogdensburg began to grow.

The total population of Ogdensburg went from 138 in 1800 to 16,610 in 1820. On April 5, 1817 Ogdensburg became the first incorporated village in St. Lawrence County. The letter 'h' was added to it's name and dropped when it became a city on April 27, 1868, the only city in St. Lawrence County and the only United States City on the St. Lawrence Seaway. The City grew to be a busy shipping center for river traffic and greeted its first train in 1850. The opening of the railway drew trade from the upper lakes to New England. By 1860, Ogdensburg was known as 'New York of the North'.

On February 16, 1872 Pope Pius IX designated the City as the See of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ogdensburg. The first telephone was installed in July 1881 in the residence and offices of the Proctor Lumber Company. The HuffDeland Airplane Company, founded in the early 1920's in Ogdensburg, manufactured airplanes for the United States Government, the company left Ogdensburg shortly after and became Delta Airlines. In 1929, after a tour of the St. Lawrence River area, Governor Roosevelt proposed the building of a bridge across the Seaway to improve communication between New York State and Ontario. The bridge opened for traffic 50 years ago on September 21, 1960.

In 1976, the first building opened in Commerce Park, a light industrial park developed by the Ogdensburg Bridge & Port Authority. Numerous Canadian-based firms have located in this park as trade between Canada and the United States continues to be integral to the growth of Ogdensburg.


Ogdensburg - History

NOTICE – The Borough of Ogdensburg, Mayor and Council regular scheduled meeting for Monday, June 14, 2021 has been rescheduled to Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 7:00Pm at the Ogdensburg Municipal Building, 14 Highland Ave. Ogdensburg NJ 07439. Formal action will be taken.

Members and Friends of the OHS,
We are very excited to announce that the OHS is planning a “return to normality” by having its annual picnic at the SHMM on Sunday, June 27 at 5:00 PM. “Discretion being the better part of valor”, we are limiting the number of attendees to 75. We are requesting that if you wish to attend that you either text me at 862 266-2836, email me at kibildisj@gmail.com, or call us at (973) 827-4968. Please include your name and number of people attending by June 15th. On that date we will determine if there is sufficient interest to proceed with the event and, if so, will email you a request for the cost of the picnic. Checks may be made out to the Ogdensburg Historical Society and sent to Dianna J. Kibildis, 10 Arch Street, Ogdensburg, NJ 07439. We respectfully request that all checks be submitted by June 22.

The cost will remain the same as in 2019, $15 per person. Again, it will be catered by the “Brick & Brew” and will include hamburgers, hot dogs, barbecue chicken, sausage and peppers, pulled pork, chips, pasta salad, potato salad, fruit salad, chocolate chip cookies. Soda, coffee, and tea will be provided or BYOB. As in the past, a mine tour will be offered to all those who wish to attend. We are also hoping to offer various door prizes. Additional details will be emailed to you if we have determined after June 15th to proceed with the picnic.

We hope that you will be able to join us feel free to invite a friend or neighbor. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Hope to see everyone,
John F. Kibildis. VP-OHS

Primary Election Voting Information
DETAILS

2020 Annual Water Quality Report Posted
DETAILS

Veterans Recognition
Lt. Robert A. Madden VFW Post 10152 Ogdensburg

DETAILS

Land Use Board Survey for Residents
The Land Use Board is working with the Board Planner on an Economic Development Plan for the Borough of Ogdensburg. Angela Knowles, Board Planner explained to the Board during their August 25, 2020 meeting via zoom/audio that she had spoken to different stakeholders and found a variety of topics that are of interest for the Borough. Those topics include opportunities for celebrating the Borough’s history, adding and/or connecting to existing biking and hiking trails, and revitalizing the Main Street.

The Land Use Board would like to get some feed back from the residents as to what they would like to see for the Borough.
Link to Survey

Members, Friends, and Interested Parties of the OHS
The OHS would like to invite you to participate in an essay contest. During these difficult times, we hope that you will find this project a most enjoyable activity. If you wish to participate, the guidelines are:

  • Topic should be an interesting/ humorous experience the author remembers from growing up or living/working in Ogdensburg.
  • Essay/story should be limited to no more than 325 words.
  • Essays must be submitted by June 7th and mailed to John F. Kibildis, 10 Arch Street, Ogdensburg, NJ 07439
  • One entry per person

Prizes are: First Place-$25, Second Place-$15, Third Place-$10

With enough interest, we may wish to share all entries with Borough residents by compiling a booklet. Any questions, please contact John Kibildis at (973) 827-4968 or jfdjk@embarqmail.com.


Ogdensburg - History

CANTON -- Philip Paige will speak about Ogdensburg history and the Ogden family at the St. Lawrence County Historical Association’s Brown Bag Lunch series Thursday, March 21 at noon.

Brown Bag Lunches are free and open to the public. Bring your own lunch and enjoy a beverage and dessert provided by SLCHA.

Two Ogdens negotiated the Treaty of New York (1796), which largely ended Native American title to North Country land members of the family shortly thereafter bought up large tracts of land, and began settling it.

Unlike many other large landholders at this time, prominent members of the Ogden family opted to move to the northern frontier.

The family mansions in Madrid (now Waddington) were home to their family and their slaves, and served as a meeting place for elite members of society on both sides of the border.

Paige, of Madrid, is a realtor and co-owner of Madrid Mercantile, a kayak rental and antique store. He is also a member of the SLCHA Board of Trustees.

This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.


Saint Lawrence State Hospital

In 1886, the need for an asylum in the far-reaches of northern New York state were realized. A 950-acre tract of farm land called Point Airy was purchased for $90,500 in 1887 to establish the Ogdensburg State Asylum for the Insane. The name of the institution was changed to the St. Lawrence State Asylum for the Insane after opening, however. In an age when massive asylums were commonly constructed in a single, sprawling building (such as the Kirkbride plan), the planners of St. Lawrence ultimately chose a detached, family-style institution called the Cottage Plan. Patients would be grouped according to their psychiatric disorder, and the buildings reflected these individual treatments in terms of size and layout. Several treatment building groups would be built: the Center Hospital Complex (1893), Letchworth Complex (1899), Flower Complex (1893), and Curtis Hall (1896), with sleeping quarters on the upper floors and day activities took place below. Other structures include the Administration Building (1891), Dynamo Room and Fire House (1896), Morgue (1893), Nursing School (1894) and other support buildings.

The hospital opened on December 9th, 1890 with Dr. Wise as superintendent. The theory of "moral treatment" was heavily applied here, using rest, recreation, and occupational therapy to dispel insanity. Recreation was implemented in various ways, including social parties, music and comedy events, camping on Lotus Island, and river excursions on the hospital's own steamboat, Dorothy. Dr. Wise's 1908 occupational therapy program was pioneered at St. Lawrence, with patients weaving, sewing and woodworking, which provided a therapeutic treatment as well as free labor for the hospital. The program would soon be adopted at asylums all over the country. Patient labor on the hospital farm supplied so much food and tobacco, the hospital rarely had to purchase goods the program was ended in the 1960s when legislature put an end to patient labor. The institution also started the first state hospital beauty salon in 1928, which would also be repeated at other psychiatric facilities across the nation.

Overcrowding plagued the hospital, like most in the nation. In an effort to improve conditions at St. Lawrence, over one million dollars was allocated to the hospital in the late 1920s. One of the improvements made was the construction of the Southwood building to treat patients infected with Tuberculosis. Once the epidemic died out, the structure was re-purposed into providing geriatric care in 1954, and once again as a treatment center for adolescents before it closed in the early 1980s.


Watch the video: Welcome to Ogdensburg History


Comments:

  1. Minkah

    Incidentally, this thought occurs right now

  2. Holcomb

    It can't be!

  3. Kigagor

    I am sorry, that I interfere, but, in my opinion, there is other way of the decision of a question.

  4. Goodwin

    I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are mistaken. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

  5. Thoraldtun

    Yeah, got caught!

  6. Maslin

    Sorry for interfering, but I need more information.

  7. Cullen

    A good deal!



Write a message